Sign in to follow this  
dwalt2400

Postponing surgery for court?

having medical issues, I have to work around the timing of my case. Im concerned about missing suits deadlines. Filing mediation papers tomorrow.

I think I am in early stages of suit. I have til Nov for filing o Disco/Interogs. I will be tested in two weeks for the surgery needs which they will schedule after Oct 17. But I have at least 2 weeks of recovery which means no driving to PO etc. I d prefer to not stress either.

So can I do the surgeries or should I wait til I get the discoveries done? Or mediations done? Or should I plead to the court to postpone all this?

Also, I know that the answer "I dont know" is not an acceptable answer in court. ever.

But what if someone is on Alzheimers meds and has diagnosis of dementia? Truly cant remember I mean. Does that work against defendant?

I really think you need to get a lawyer involved, maybe somebody would take this pro bono. You really shouldn't be defending yourself with these medical issues. I would petition the court to allow you to have someone take over for you under the rule I posted.

I think surgery and health issues take priority over court scheduling. In California, I've seen a timeline of a case in which a six-month break was allowed for defendant's medical emergency. Maybe Texas has something like that to give a break to people who have health issues?

Best of luck to you.

thanks, Ill guess Ill have to ask the court. Attorneys hear pro bono and run.

Edited to add ( I had to post because I got more news today and that made me think of this issue and couldnt find it in the threads that werent locked... )

Bruno, I had found that Friend of the court staute, didnt know when to submit that. Should I just put it in now? Legal aid is supposed to give me an answer if they are taking case next week. I have to give answer to mediation by tomorrow, so I m filing those papers at the clerks.

I had noticed whilst answering the discovery, that I truly had no knowledge of some items... thats what made me ask about the dementia part. I wasnt incompetent back then.. but have grown that way over the last couple of years.

Edited by dwalt2400

If you have no recollection, that's all you can say. Nobody can force you to recall something that you don't recall.

Bwhaha I went in to file my mediation answer today and I got lost leaving where I had just entered 4 minutes before. LOL. (I told them I had problems. )It was a short left and a four step right to the office.

I ended up in someones office looking for the exit. They had a a good giggle .

I found out mediations will be behind schedule. ..at least 6 weeks to 8 weeks from now. Postponing is alright by the court as well. I guess that shores up the medical responses to the plaintiff as well, so if I am difficult to get into court, maybe they just dont want to mess with answering me.

The clerk said dont reschedule my surgeries.

Edited by dwalt2400

Actually, I always get lost that way. It takes several trips to one place before it becomes familiar. And this was happening long before I hit my 60s.

It's great that your scheduling problems have been resolved. The court will not require you to reschedule surgery for a court matter.