sheli1974usa

Served Summons for Alleged Medical Debt- How to respond

Hi all, Can someone point me in the right direction?

I was served a summons today from a collection agency that is filed with my district court for a medical bill.

I have 20 days to file my answer. My question is this, what should my answer be? Im not sure what do you becase this is for dental/medical services. I don't want a default judgement.

Any help is appreciated.

Im not sure what do you becase this is for dental/medical services. I don't want a default judgement.

Well you need to answer the lawsuit then. You did not provide any details for us, so no way to give you an opinion on how you should answer. But to avoide a default you will need to answer the lawsuit, and most likely deny the allegations. If you have an affirmative defense, such as it was paid by insurance, then you will list that defense.

Coltfan, thank you for the reply.

I have been reading and I just dont see much on Medical debt, it is for a really small amount.

I really have no real defense to tell you the truth, just can't/didn't pay. The only thing I can think is it was for work done that I had to go and have corrected somewhere else because it was done so bad. Not even sure if that matters. (Should I even say that?)

I guess I would like to settle, if they would take payments.

Im sure this is just the start. I have a million cc's that I have sent DV letters with elect to Arb. Just waiting for the storm.

I'm sure they will settle. I can't imagine anybody not wanting to settle. I'm sure if you pay them the money they are out to this point (might have to pay the filing fee for court since it's such a small amount) it will go away and they will dismiss.

If they screwed up and you had to have it fixed someplace else, that's a defense. However, it's yours to prove and if this is a small amount not sure if you really want to go down that road.

Call the attorney up that filed their case and see what they say and/or offer you. Who knows they might tell you if you pay 1/2 right now it all goes away.