skotm

Its over!

WEll its over, we settled fro 200 dollars with prejudice .. I know that some of you woudl have rather gone into the court room, but they did not send some fresh out of college rookie like i expected, they sent the lawyer I have been dealingw ti hthe entire time.

My nerves were a wreck, my stomach in nots.. But to pay 200 bucks and have it dismissed with prejudice... I think I got off lucky, I was doing some searches on the judge I would be infront of and he is not nice to pro-se peaple in this court in these cases.

I made him sign a paper infront of the mediater and made them sign it to saying this is with prejudice.

Sorry if I let anyone down, I knew as soon as he came after me and the mediator in the hallway that he was goign to take the 200 and both of us call it a day.

I also asked if he had a witness, and he said he would call one and it may take until 3 in the afternoon... from a cost standpoint, I - not to get into what i do for a living, but i make more then 200 in a day and waiting till 3 for a witness or none would cost me out of pocked prob about 300 bucks more.

I am glad it is over, I dont regret paying 200, that is **** money and way less then a lawyer wanted.

Now to see if all the paoperwork is submitted to the court correctly....

Edited by skotm

Thanks all, the part I didnt want tto do is sit aroundall day waiting for a witness to show up, that wouldnt that I would then have dismisssed since it was not bought up in discovery.

Liek I said, by me going to work after words instead of waiting, I made more money then I paid out (or will by the end of the day. If I sat and waited, I would have lost that much more jsut from not making money today.

I did explain to the lawyer that this 200 is just so I can go home, he was such an arogant prick.. telling me to look at him, so I winked and went back to reading. kept interupting me, he walked out of the room a few times to. reminded me of the typical used car salesman.

Sometimes, in my opinion, paying such a low amount is more of an insult that if you beat them out right. If you beat them out right the attorney can go back to the office, embarrassed as he should be, but rant and rave how the judge screwed him and was taking up for the poor old pro se.

Now he gets to go back to the office and try to explain how he got over on you? when 99% of anybody that hears you settled a case for 200.00 will know it was just a go away I have better things in my life to do offer.

I look at it the same way as when a waitress gives just horrible service that is all their fault, like stands around in the back talking and laughing, really, really bad service, leaving the old penny tip. It's saying I did not forget and this is not just an honest mistake. I'm telling you how bad you suck and I hope you are insulted by this amount.

Same thing here, in my opinion, and I would have probably (well no probably about it) sat around and said get your witness here, I'll be outside playing video games on my laptop and making plans on where I'm going tonight to celebrate kicking your a$$ when the witness does get here. It's a victory, just a different kind!!!!

Hey, my wife settled a debt of 2500 with an OC for 12 payments of 50 bucks, and I call it a WIN, only the filling cost was about 400 for them, just to get the attorney there was a complete waste of his time, and mine. Even though it was an outside of SOL debt, as per Delaware law, and my wife could have beaten them easy, 50 bucks a month was better than if she screwed up with the judge somehow. So a BIG

GREAT JOB CONGRATS!!!!

reminded me of the typical used car salesman.

Don't go running used car salesmen through the mud with these JDB leeches! I know some car people who are pretty decent humans.

At least they can't come after you again. And if by some chance they try just talk to Coltfan & and the great group here. They'll show you how to get your 200. back and lot more $$$$$$$$!

Congats on your WIN!!!!!!!!!

He probably already knew he would have lost had you waited for the witness and so offered you something that would be better than the wait. In my eyes, you won because it probably cost them that much to have the attorney there in the first place.

Even if it is a older attorney, that does not necessarily mean smarter. He is still doing civil cases which is probably the beginning career end of the field rather than a huge class action that gets you the real money that law school promised.

For each person, a win is a win and in our books, this counts. You fought them long enough to get them to make you an offer to go away. That was enough.

There are many reasons:

1) He was cursing in the hall that this was the best deal he could get and he knew it.

2) He was checking on his other cases that were probably going into default. These JDB lawyers have a pretty heavy caseload after all.

3) He was calling the office and telling them to stop the witness and to explain why he took this horrible deal.

We will never know but I almost think it would have been #2. Why waste time listening to this agreement when you have other cases which are generating a ton more money that this one.

I got the impression it was a "good cop" mediator, "bad cop" him.

His walking out of the room was to make me "think" about it that was plainley clear.

It was his way of intimidating and negotiating, His attitude was all about intimidation and done rudely so.

The way he tried to talk down to me, told me not to interupt him , even though he would interupt me -- to look at him in the eyes as I read paperwork to myself. Thier is no way he has a happy home life, no woman, or man would put up with that for more then the 2-3 hours I did (yes we mediated that long).

See I am a very calm person, I never raise my voice, I even shook his hand before and after (as he pretty much rolled his eyes and huffed). I know my attitude pissed him off more then his childlike temper tantrums. I simply did not care and had a smile on my face the entire time.. he even tried staring me down as if he was a good poker player... I think we sat and locked eyes for a good 3-4 minuts.

My mistake that made this last longer then it should have is i dressed expensive suit, gold tie clip, expensive watch etc... he even said it looks like you have some money. I almost wish i just wore jeans and a button up like every other defendant in the court room.

I almost wish i just wore jeans and a button up like every other defendant in the court room.

From my experience it is best to dress your best, especially for the actual trial. Every time I go to court I wear at the minimum a sports coat and tie. The day of my trial I wore a suit and a red tie.

It may not be fair, but you get a lot more respect if you dress at the same level or even better than the attorneys. Every time I have attended court either the judge or some of the attorneys talk to me assuming I am an attorney. Get a little conversation going with them before your called forward and they are much easier to deal with.

Not to knock the other defendants but most of them dress like I do when I mow my lawn. This also automatically gives the plaintiff's attorneys a psychological advantage and most judges do look down on this. When the bailiff has to tell someone to remove their cap then they are already on the wrong track. Just watch the officers at the metal detectors waive a well dress person through and then search the next person wearing old jeans and a t-shirt.

The only thing I would suggest against is wearing an expensive watch or jewelry. I only own a Timex from Walmart so that is not a worry for me.

I'm not confident and experienced enough at this time to share a lot of legal opinions. However I have worked most of my life in sales and feel strongly about what I said above. A lot of times selling yourself is half the battle, no matter where it is fought.

Bad experience with the judge also. Maybe he had been sanctioned 200.00 for his actions that morning and nhad to pay them by 5 PM.

He probably already knew he would have lost had you waited for the witness and so offered you something that would be better than the wait. In my eyes, you won because it probably cost them that much to have the attorney there in the first place.

Even if it is a older attorney, that does not necessarily mean smarter. He is still doing civil cases which is probably the beginning career end of the field rather than a huge class action that gets you the real money that law school promised.

For each person, a win is a win and in our books, this counts. You fought them long enough to get them to make you an offer to go away. That was enough.