CALIF Dreamer

Debt Collectors Get New Rules in 2013

MY thoughts exactly...more regulation is not the answer- the best way to garner compliance with the FDCPA is to increase the statutory damages to maybe $5k or $10k...

Edited by 1stStep
Guest usctrojanalum

that's the big thing, in the 1970s when the FDCPA was codified into law $1,000 back then is roughly equivalent to about $5600 now. The statutory violations should be raised to 5k per violation. and should be re-examined every 10 years for inflation purposes.

MY thoughts exactly...more regulation is not the answer- the best way to garner compliance with the FDCPA is to increase the statutory damages to maybe $5k or $10k...

There are some cleanups that could be applied to the existing regulations. But I do agree, statutory damages that are harder to just write off as the cost of doing business is what will start changing how things are done. Let's clarify and enforce.

Go to the collectors board when they are crying about the FDCPA being out of date and talk about the statutory penalty being raised and then get ready for the "OH HELL NO" it's already bad enough with deadbeats trying to collect an easy 1K.

They want everything revised to account for modern times, EXCEPT for the damages. :ROFLMAO2:

I know this is not supposed to be a partisan political forum, so let me put it this way: The political party and the presidential nominee that is the most pro-business and receives the most corporate endorsements and contributions (guess which party and candidate I am referring to) will gut the FDCPA, FCRA. TILA, TCPA, RESPA, and every other pro-consumer legislation there is, all in the name of "improving our economy" and making "America more competitive."

Don't let them do that. Vote.

And how is any candidate going to gut or approve of any law without congress' approval? That is the missing link. As long as congress is deadlocked, nothing will happen. Now the President can cut the funding of the FTC thereby leaving enforcement up to us little people but that is the extent of what he can do without congress.

What I am concerned about is a pro-business President and a pro-business Senate (in the House, pro-business representatives outnumber pro-consumer representatives) that together will weaken or undo all consumer legislation. Not to mention they will also want to cap damages for medical malpractice and product liability cases. And further weaken all govt regulatory agencies.

Same old, I don't really care about all those laws, if they do a legislation with a living wage, where minimun wage could pay for rent, etc., I ain't worried about consumer laws cause I can chose whatever I want or not, is a free country so I got no obligation to enter into a contract with no one. No with no living wage, they do whatever, since I got to go to the doctor that accepts medicaid, go to a store where they accept snap, etc. etc. so I ain't really free, and that ain't political is just giving the poor a change to chose.

For laws an easy fix would be that FDCPA violations stack AND rise them to 5k, with 1 phone call you could easily get 20k for 4 violations. I got documented violation but study a lot and buy the federal procedual code, plus then pay filing fees, and then serve the other party, all for 1k, that if they don't pay I got to domesticate the judgement on another state, enforce the judgement, for 1k? seriously, is just stupid, is like saying you got no rights unless you can get a lawyer to do a class action against these clowns.