Sign in to follow this  
Alchemy

Can I fax Debt Validation letter?

Can I fax my debt validation letter to the Collection Agency? Or is it still necessary to send it registered mail? I'm currently living outside of the US.

Can I fax my debt validation letter to the Collection Agency? Or is it still necessary to send it registered mail? I'm currently living outside of the US.

You CAN fax it. You SHOULD NOT. You should get a better form of proof they received it or refused to receive it. Always send it CMRRR. Registered is not appropriate. Certified is sufficient with the return receipt. If it comes back refused DO NOT OPEN IT. You already know what's inside. Preserve the seal for the judge to see what is inside of what you sent.

Certified Mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Registered mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yepper what Torden said, spend the 5 bucks, get your green card and document everything as if you are filing a lawsuit.

you want proof that they received your DV and a fax just don't cut the mustard

Can you? Sure. Is it better than sending a letter by regular mail with no proof at all? Yes. However, as the others above advised, just spend a little extra. You'll be dang glad you did if you ever need it for court purposes.

Thanks...and glad there is a consensus. The only reason I would FAX the DV letter is so they won't know that I'm living in Canada now. I know that they can't reach across the border, but once they know that I'm here, they will "stop the clock" on serving me until I return, right? If there is a Statute of Limitation, I want it to keep running. Any thoughts?