Alchemy

Should I let CA know I'm living in Canada?

I am debating whether I should send my DV letter from Canada (where I'm living) to the US or have a family member send it from the states.

Do I want the CA to know that I'm living out of country now?

I know that they can't reach across the border, but would they put their collections "on hold" until they have somehow discover that I have returned?

I want the statute of limitation to keep running.

Edited by Alchemy

Well, if you come back to the USA, then the Statute has been "tolled"...which basically means put on hold for the time you're in Canada.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if they find out you're in Canada then they won't really care, since the time to sue you was basically put on pause while you're out of the country.

Plus, they can just get a default judgement and hold that over your head for possibly 20 years.

Plus, they can just get a default judgement and hold that over your head for possibly 20 years.

Which is what can happen if head is stuck in sand. Other's things also happen because when head in sand, butt in air........................................

That mental picture is very graphic. I think It would be good idea to take nice long vacation in USA, fight and win against creditor's and then go home.

Which is what can happen if head is stuck in sand. Other's things also happen because when head in sand, butt in air........................................

That mental picture is very graphic. I think It would be good idea to take nice long vacation in USA, fight and win against creditor's and then go home.

saytar, you don't understand. OP calls USA home, but is currently living in Canada, but will go back to USA in the future.

Thought he was living in Canada, and just had relatives here.

Depends on whether you are just visiting for extended period.

What are listing as your permenent address? If somewhere in U.S. then no problem, toll rolls on. You can have a permenent address where all legal matters are based on and you can have a mailing address somewhere while visiting to insure you get your mail promptly.

As long as you list your permenent address in the U.S. I wouldn't worry about that issue.

Of course that means you will still be paying and filing Federal Taxes. If your doing that then ............you just visting.

My permanent address is in the US, but I'm residing in Canada (visiting).

Where do I find out more info on tolled?

I think that I'll send the letter from the US...just in case. Don't need to put my derriere out there any more than necessary.

Sounds like a plan. Since your legal address in U.S. no deception is intended or created. You just sent it to the relative to mail to insure proper delivery.