Debating balance transfer

I have a credit card with a balance of 2000 dollars, and I called to get a lower interest rate, of course I got a NO. In the mean time I have got a couple of offers for balance transfer from Discovery and Chase Slate. Has anyone dealt with either of these two companies regarding transfers, good or bad?

I should mention I did have the regular Chase credir card, and they closed it because I was barely using it.

You need to read the fine print in your agreements, and then do the math.  Some cards charge you a fee to transfer...some as high as $10 per $100.  Its almost never free...

A better plan might be to make minimum payments on  the low interest cards, and pay as much as you can on the high interest guy...then once its pais off...close it.

They both have a transfer fee of 3%, which comes out to about 60 dollars. I do have other credit cards, but their balances are under 200 dollars. The big one is for some roofing work I had done. I do tend to lean towards Chase because the transfer will allow me up to April 2014. I have heard Discover is not too shabby, I just want to pay the one off with the big interest and be done with it. The big one is Cap One having never been late on a payment, I thought that they would work with me....I was wrong..

I've done it with Discover. The balance transfer fee was just over $300 (yeah, it was a lot I transfered), but I saved myself much more than that in the interest charges on the other cards. It was a 2 year deal. Its nice seeing that $200 payment actually going toward the balance, instead of a chunk of interest being taken out. You actually see the balance going down.

• 2 months later...