Can I try to settle while still disputing the debt as legally valid, or does this admit the debt?

slavenomore

Can I try to settle while still disputing the debt as legally valid, or does this admit the debt?  

BACKSTORY:

44K in cc debt, chase and FNB,  chase offered $30% and FNB 40%

didn't have it. 

Was about send in counter offer to OC, but wondered if it would disrupt my option to dispute and fight later if I have to go that route.  In other words does it validate the debt if I make a counter offer? 

do I preserve the option to dispute by putting in language like this that says i still dispute it.  but then make and offer? :  LIKE THIS: 

I appreciate your settlement offer of $9000 over 90 days for settlement in full.  However, if I could pay anything close to that much, I would not be in this position. 

Still, I would rather we could come to some realistic agreement rather than having to pay a bankruptcy attorney for a Chapter 7 no asset case. Of course if we can’t come to an agreement and I am forced to do a Chapter 7 we both lose.

Please be advised this alleged debt and accounts are disputed in their entirety. However, in an effort to resolve this matter: Here is my settlement offer:

Yes, absolutely. Almost universally, the language in a typical settlement agreement includes phraseology like "disputed and doubtful claim," "not an admission of liability," "solely to buy my peace," etc. Any language you want to use that makes it clear that "I don't owe you anything, but I'm offering to pay $X just to make you go away" will suffice.