If grandma gave you a cash gift in 2011, and you might have to declare BK 7 in 2013, what is the legal period for cash gifts?

Guest usctrojanalum

really depends on your trustee. i have seen some trustees let almost anything slide as long as it's not astronomically crazy, and i've seen some trustees question every single penny and nickel of your financial picture.

Depending on what you did with (and the trustee) they CAN make you come up with the cash.  A friend of mine got a $2750 income tax return, spent it for "frivolous" items (according to the trustee) and then filed BK7.  The trustee wanted $2750 in cash to distribute to the creditors before he would grant the discharge.  Remember, the trustee gets a percentage of what they can "recover", so they do have incentive to look into such things.

Well, the reason I ask is that certain amounts of cash gifts don't need to be reported to the tax dudes - and they aren't considered income/assets as such. Not sure what the rules are between generations though. Parent/child "gifts" and spousal gifts that are one-time in nature aren't always something that must be reported.

My mother paid my rent several years ago when I was laid off from a job (it was over a thousand), but I didn't have to report it as income. She didn't expect payment back and it was essentially a gift because she wired the money into my account after which I paid my rent.

And a few years is a long time anyway - I don't believe a trustee would expect such a gift to still be sitting around somewhere - especially if someone had been driven to bankruptcy, right?