Sent DV, recieved statements, now send settlement offer?

mrdwop

Sent out DV to CA, CA sends me couple statements from OC. After reading on here I assume they validated it. A day later they are calling to work out a settlement. I did not call them back. Should I just write back asking for  a settlement for 25%?, The alleged debt is $2500.  When I do, do I have to make that certified also?

And lets say they dont like my offer and decide to sue, do I have a defense by asking to verify they own the debt? or is the statements they sent me enough and im out of luck. Thanks for any advice.

If the OC still owns the account, I'd try to negotiate with the original creditor (OC) instead of the CA.  Check your credit report.  If the OC has sold the account to a junk debt  buyer (JDB), the OC's entry will show the account has been sold or transferred.  If it doesn't indicate that, then the OC still owns it.

With whoever you decide to negotiate, you could start out with 25%.  The times I've negotiated a settlement, I've done so over the phone so we could go back and forth with offers.  If you agree to anything, get every detail in writing.

If the account is being reported on your CR, make sure they include that the account will be reported as settled and paid.  Don't pay a penny until you have the details in writing.

• 2 weeks later...

If the OC still owns the account, I'd try to negotiate with the original creditor (OC) instead of the CA.  Check your credit report.  If the OC has sold the account to a junk debt  buyer (JDB), the OC's entry will show the account has been sold or transferred.  If it doesn't indicate that, then the OC still owns it.

With whoever you decide to negotiate, you could start out with 25%.  The times I've negotiated a settlement, I've done so over the phone so we could go back and forth with offers.  If you agree to anything, get every detail in writing.

If the account is being reported on your CR, make sure they include that the account will be reported as settled and paid.  Don't pay a penny until you have the details in writing.

Thanks.

I looked on CR, and see OC, but dont notice anything about sold or transfer on it. How would this JDB get this information? Can I call OC and ask who owns this account? The collector still continues to call, but I dont call back.

Is it a JDB or a collection agency for the OC? Who is the JDB calling you?

It just says ARS on letter..

update

I tried calling the OC, then noticed after I input my account, the call automatically fowarded to ARS? so are they working together?

I'm going to guess that ARS is the CA for the OC.

Is this medical debt? ARS specializes in medical debt.

Call the OC and  get a *real* person on the phone to discuss your account.

After that, if you must deal with ARS, do *exactly* what BV80 said in his post above.

You can negotiate on the telephone but get the 'meat and potatoes' in writing before you send ANYTHING.

If it's not in writing, it never happened.

Generally I tell peple not to pay CAs, but I have had dealings with ARS and they are generally ok ( I als o sued them, they helped buy my boat). Make an offer in writing and ask them to respond in writing with something that says they have authority to settle for theOC and that all settlements are final. Otherwise, you can string it out a bit more, as ARS is just a CA, not a law firm