multiple accounts with one Collection Agency issue

minxcomp1

I have 3 accounts with one CA and only one is showing on my report because the other 2 are older than 7 years. I need the one that is showing still off my report and the CA said that they will not remove it until all are paid off.  I am fairly sure that this is illegal but wanted to check here with you guys before I take action.  All three have seperate account numbers with the CA, so if I got a money order that hes the account number of the one I need to get off my report and got a payment receipt arent they required to remove that account number or at least list it as paid?  If anyone has an answer out there, can you please chime in as soon as possible because this is definitely a time-sensitive matter.  Thanks in advance!!

He was lying.  The other 2 accounts have nothing to do with the account on your CR.  Even if you paid all three of them, the CA would be under no obligation to delete the entry that's currently on your CR as long as it's being reported accurately and is still within the 7 year reporting period.  The only way they'd be required to remove an accurate entry is if they stated in writing that they would do so.

However, if you pay the account in full or settled for a lower amount, the CA would be required to show that updated status ("paid" or "settled for less than full amount"). 

No matter what you do, get every detail in writing.  Make sure the account number is correct so that the payment is applied to the correct account.  Perhaps you can negotiate a deletion of the account from your CR.  Some CAs will do it, but others won't.

• Like 1

What is normally done when you fully pay off an account, and would still apply in this case for the reported account, is that they report the account paid in full (still a minor negative because it was paid late).  Or if you settle the account for less than full, it would be reported as paid as agreed/settled.  What you are asking for goes beyond that.  Your are asking for PFD.  There is no legal obligation for them to do that.  In fact, the CRAs contract says to report accurately, and deleting an item is considered not accurate (unless there was cause to delete, such as wrong debtor, or was originally paid and only now realized).  Now some CAs still do PFD though the number is getting fewer.  But I would not expect any to even consider PFD unless you are paid up with them for everything.  I don't know of any law that prohibits them from demanding payment on past-SOL past-CR accounts for a PFD.

If PFD is what you are asking for, and would be willing to pay all 3 to get, I'd be sure to get the agreement in writing.  But I urge that on any/every agreement, anyway.