2 Collection Agencies Targeting Same Debt: Cavalry and Van Ru

NeverPay

I currently have an account in collection.  Cavalry sent me letters to try and collect about a year ago and now a company called Van Ru is trying to collect it.  I have read that if a collection agency reports to a credit bureau it is considered an attempt to collect a debt.  Currently Calvary reports it every month and Van Ru has been sending me letters.  Therefore there are 2 collection agencies trying to collect the same debt.  Is this illegal and what can I do about it?  Can I sue them for damages?  For full disclosure, I have asked both companies to validate and neither one has, it is almost 30 days and I don't think they are going to respond to me.  How should I proceed?

I have 2 questions for you 

1. After you got your dunning letter, did you send them a demand for Validation within 30 days? (both debt collectors) 

2. If you did, was that sent Certified mail?

Cavalry is a JDB and I can only assume Van Ru is their collection agency, you will need to read Van Ru's dunning letter. 

If you played your cards right then you do have violations only if they continue to collect without proper Validation is provided.

I sent Cavalry a letter about a year after their first contact and Van Ru a letter about 4 months after first contact. Does the fact that I sent them so long after their first letter mean they can still come after me? Neither has responded in 30 days. And both of them pulled my credit report last month. Thanks for for responding, this has been an invaluable resource.

They didn't have to respond in 30 days.  The 30 day limit is for the consumer to send a DV.  You have to send it within 30 days of their first letter to you.  However, if they choose to stop collection efforts, they don't have to respond.

1.  Did you send your DV request to Cavalry within 30 days of Cavalry's first letter?

2.  Was Cavalry already reporting on your CR before you sent the letter?

Well, unfortunately since you didn't send the letter within 30 days after their first communication with you, they didn't have to respond to you and could continue collection efforts.   They can also pull your CR because collection of a debt is a permissible purpose.

I'd dispute the accounts on your CR.  Make sure everything they're reporting is accurate.  If something is inaccurate, dispute on that basis.   If everything is accurate, you might try disputing as "not mine", and see what happens.  If Cavalry verifies it with the CRAs and everything is correct, there's not much you can do.

FYI, Cavalry's entry will fall off your CR at the same time as the OC's entry.  That's 7.5 years from the OC's reported date of first delinquency.  Cavalry cannot keep their entry on your CR longer than 7.5 years from the OC's date of first delinquency.