Bank CLAIMS I am a Co-Owner/Joint Owner

ub0ng

Hi,

I dont know unique my situation is, but I have serached various forums to see if others have been in a similar situation with no succes.

My Girl Friend opened a credit card with M&T Bank a little over a year ago. The billing address on the account is in MD (i resided in NY if that matters). She applied online for the CC and was approved. AFTER the card was open we later called in and added me as an AUTHORIZED user. When the representative asked her for my social security number, she handed me the phone to speak with them. I excplictly asked "why do you need my social security number to add me as an authorized user?" The representatives reply was something along the lines of this is how we do it here, it is in case you call in and you need to verify yourself to speak with us. I recalled when my friend left the country for about a year and wanted me to help manage his american express account he added me as an authorized user and they also requested my social so i didnt put up to much of a fuss about it. I did however explicty ask if i would be in anyway shape or from financially liable for this account in the event anything happend to my Girl friend (although i know the answer to this i still wanted to make sure). The representative replied no, no, no to every question i presented about my liability on the accout. I gave my social, received the card and that was the end of that. At the time i was back and forth between MD and NY, but around this time i was in MD for about 4months straight. I saw all the paper work sent to the biling address from M&T and NON had anything to do with me, in fact they never even sent a letter stating I was added to the account in any capacity, out of sight out of mind.

Fast forward today, i pull my credit yesterday and see M&T being reported by ALL three credit reporting agencies. Not a big deal, i have expericed this in the past (twice). Normally i just call up the bank, they send me a letter stating i am an authorized user i open a dispute and send it to the agencies and within 2 months its off. I call M&T and ask for this letter and to my amazement they tell me we cannot provide you with such a letter because I am a CO OWNER of the account. After speaking to multple departments no one was able to give me a difinitive answer about WHY i was listed as a CO OWNER (other than we see its been that way since the card was opened, one rep even implied it was a JOINT APPLICATION as in we applied together which isnt the case), infact they said they dont ask for socials to add authorized users. The final reprentative i spoke to said she put in an inquiry with a department that is able to "see more" and will get back to me. That was over a week ago and I am trying to be proative in this matter.

Facts:

I NEVER signed ANYTHING

They never sent any documentation stating i was a CO OWNER (and if they did it was never recived)

When i gave my social i did not go through any automated system that made me acknoledge antyihng, nor did the representative read me any script or notices about what i was "agreeing" too

There is simply no way they could "Prove" i agreed to be a co owner.

They are telling me I cannot be removed from the account until the account balance is paid in full, which at the rate she is paying the card could be 4years or more.

I am trying to buy a car in April, and i dont want this debt tying me down. She is utilizing 90percent of her credit limit which doesnt look good.

Given the information provided what is my best course of action. My research tells me that this might ultimately come down to using a 623 Mehtod. Which means I have to file a dispute with the CRA, then wiat for their response which i know will simply come back Verified THEN contact M&T directly.

From my girl friends and my personal exeprience M&T really sucks on many levels. I guess the fact it took them THREE attempts to get our cards out to us should have been early indication.

The operative word in this story is that you gave your social. Authorized users typically don't give socials.   Having no signature is not an indication of anything these days, many people sign up for cards online, as you know.

I wouldn't completely give up hope, you might still get something, but it looks like you might be stuck.  

The operative word in this story is that you gave your social. Authorized users typically don't give socials.   Having no signature is not an indication of anything these days, many people sign up for cards online, as you know.

I wouldn't completely give up hope, you might still get something, but it looks like you might be stuck.  

I appreciate your prompt response. I spoke to M&T bank and they themselves have admitted they REQUIRE a social security number in order to add an authorized user and issue a VISA card. I spoke to multiple representatives and it was confirmed that this is the case. One told me that they likely don’t even have any documentation on the matter given that it has been over a year. I am writing up a dispute with the CRA so I can later send out a 623 dispute directly with M&T.

What do you make of this?

If you're persistant enough, you might get the response you want.    Don't back down for a second.  If they can't prove you're a co-owner, they shouldn't be reporting you.  

Again thank you, i will not back down from this for a second.

I have sent out the "i am an authorized user" dispute to all three CRA's (ceritfied mail). I am certain they will all respond stating that the account has been verified and is being reported as it should be. Now that the situation is still fresh in my mind i want to essnetially write the 623 Dispute letter to M&T Bank right now (of course i wont send it till the CRA's respond). Here are my questions:

1. Does tone matter? should i take an aggresive tone with them (M&T)?

2. Do i have to wait for ALL THREE CRA's to respond before i contact M&T directly, or once one of them responds (say Experian) can i use that as the basis to begin the 623 dispute?

3. I saw this on another forum some asked for help with reviewing a 623 dispute letter they were about to send out. In the letter the person stated "I immediately disputed this information with Experian TransUnion and Equifax and the results of the investigation came back "verified."

Here is what someone said about it:

"It is not wise, in my opinion, to highlite a prior CRA dispute when sending a direct dispute.

That alone is grounds for immediate dismissal of the direct dispute as being substantially the same as a prior dispute.  16 CFR 660.4(f)(ii).

Providing "proof" supporting their verification is not a requirement of their verification of accuracy of disputed information."

is this correct? Should i make no referrence to the fact that the CRA's results of the investiagation came back verified?

1. Does tone matter? should i take an aggresive tone with them (M&T)?

I would be agressive.  They are reporting inaccurate information, that they cannot prove.

2. Do i have to wait for ALL THREE CRA's to respond before i contact M&T directly, or once one of them responds (say Experian) can i use that as the basis to begin the 623 dispute?

I'd just wait for one.  That's a violation right there.

"It is not wise, in my opinion, to highlite a prior CRA dispute when sending a direct dispute.

That alone is grounds for immediate dismissal of the direct dispute as being substantially the same as a prior dispute.  16 CFR 660.4(f)(ii).

Providing "proof" supporting their verification is not a requirement of their verification of accuracy of disputed information."

is this correct? Should i make no referrence to the fact that the CRA's results of the investiagation came back verified?

It's up to you, but you need to have disputed with the credit bureaus first in order to invoke the 623.