krounding

Should you send letters to validate debt through certified mail?

I have never seen a situation where CMRRR would hurt. It only seems to help.

The one time I didn't send a DV/Dispute/C&D letter via CMRRR it was based on good reasons to believe they would just go away. I was incorrect on those assumptions but they paid for it anyway. Lacking CMRRR documentation, my position was likely weakened on the evidence from a negotiations or court case POV. I believe a not-so-old FTC settlement for similar violations by the DC is what aided me in their capitulation in writing me a check.

I would recommend spending the extra $5 to create potential admissible evidence or for better negotiation posture. It is money well spent and you never know when you might need it.

A response to a DV letter is not necessarily validation and clearly not verification. I have never seen an OC attorney, CA, or JDB actually validate or verify a debt based on a DV letter response. If they routinely fail to validate or verify the alleged debt in court I cannot see why anyone would believe they would validate or verify when requested via the mails. That doesn't mean that the DC has not responded in an absolute minimal manner to avoid triggering a statutory violation in a particular jurisdiction.

There have been long discourses posted on the use of a DV letter. As important as using CMRRR is, it may be more important to set realistic "goals" in using a DV letter. I like DV's "discovery" potential as well as it's potential in documenting statutory violations. YMMV