Sign in to follow this  
waverlymike

Student Loan and PFD? (Two Questions)

New to the thread - I've got 2 questions. After being an irresponsible idiot in my younger days, I'm really trying to clean my report up.

I had 4 negative accounts, 3 smaller accounts listed in collections and a student loan I decided to stop paying years ago.

As for the student loan, last week I settled with the collection agency hired by the bank that backed the loan. I paid half and they will have it listed as settled in full (wasn't getting a PFD or anything else for that). The thing is, it's also listed 3 or 4 separate times on my credit report as charged off, filed with gov't, etc. This is with AES/NCT, things like that. How do I go about getting the other listings removed? Do having those listed affect my credit score? Just wondering because if I paid to have this settled (had to, since it was a student loan) should I still be getting dinged for the same thing by multiple other negative listings?

Also, I had three other small debts in collections. I sent them letters offering payment for deletion from the 3 CR agencies (used form letters I found online - not accepting it's my debt, but offering payment if I got written agreement, etc.). I got a call from one of them today that they wouldn't PFD or even put paid in full but would take a smaller payment and put settled in full. I even offered to pay the full amount for deletion but they won't accept that. It seems they would rather take less money and give me a settled in full than full payment for a PFD. I asked for a number to the original creditor (Best Fitness).  She said she'd give it to me, but I'd just be routed back to her since they were the collection agency in charge of Best's debt. I found it odd that they'd settle for less than full but wouldn't PFD if I gave the whole amount. Any suggestions here? I told her I'd have to consider my options and call back next week.

Side note - this was regarding a contract I thought I had terminated but apparently had not completed the termination. 

Finally, does speaking about these debts restart any clock or anything, or will they still fall off 7 years after original delinquency? 

Thanks again for any input.

Additional info -

Any way I can write to the CRs to get the other related listings deleted? Is there some sort of form letter I could use? Should this be a dispute? Unsure of how that would work. Thanks again for your input.

The three small ones - 

Best Fitness now with NH/NE $800 - Last August of '09. She seemed to be willing to take $500 for settlement but not the $800 for PFD

Asset Acceptance - $239. Debt originally from an Express credit card. Something like 4 years ago.

EOS/CCA - $135. Originally from AT&T. About 5 years old.

They're definitely all valid debts. I'd like to get them off and not wait the seven years. 

I've managed to save up about a thousand bucks so I have the cash on hand to pay them all off.

How do I fight Best Fitness? What do you think I should do to get them to pay for delete? I think it's insane, why would they take less? They were very adamant about how they would not PFD. Said that if I called Best they'd just route me back to her. I really have no idea what to do with these. I don't want to ask any friends for advice, it's pretty embarrassing and a lawyer seems pointless for the amount I have outstanding.

As for the student loan, last week I settled with the collection agency hired by the bank that backed the loan. I paid half and they will have it listed as settled in full (wasn't getting a PFD or anything else for that). The thing is, it's also listed 3 or 4 separate times on my credit report as charged off, filed with gov't, etc. This is with AES/NCT, things like that. How do I go about getting the other listings removed? Do having those listed affect my credit score? Just wondering because if I paid to have this settled (had to, since it was a student loan) should I still be getting dinged for the same thing by multiple other negative listings?

Yes, having all those negatives definitely hurts.  I'd dispute with the credit bureaus "not mine" and see where that takes you.  If they don't come off, your next dispute can be "duplicate entry", but if the loan passed around from one collection agency to another it may be difficult.  

Also, I had three other small debts in collections. I sent them letters offering payment for deletion from the 3 CR agencies (used form letters I found online - not accepting it's my debt, but offering payment if I got written agreement, etc.). I got a call from one of them today that they wouldn't PFD or even put paid in full but would take a smaller payment and put settled in full. I even offered to pay the full amount for deletion but they won't accept that. It seems they would rather take less money and give me a settled in full than full payment for a PFD. I asked for a number to the original creditor (Best Fitness).  She said she'd give it to me, but I'd just be routed back to her since they were the collection agency in charge of Best's debt. I found it odd that they'd settle for less than full but wouldn't PFD if I gave the whole amount. Any suggestions here? I told her I'd have to consider my options and call back next week.

I'd first try calling back and talking to a different rep.  Different rep, sometimes different story.  

You can try and push them with a threat to sue for reporting incorrect information.  In court, I doubt that they would have the documentation necessary to prove a) the debt is yours and B) that they could legally collect on it.   That's being a little extreme, but that's something to think about.  

Finally, does speaking about these debts restart any clock or anything, or will they still fall off 7 years after original delinquency? 

Nope, does not restart the clock to just speak about debts. 

Awesome, thanks.

Should I do the automated dispute through each of the bureau's websites, or is there a letter you think that I should actually send to them?