pinto

Collection Agent Reports 1 Account as 2

I have a medical bill for a vaccination provided by a physicians group. They have billed me directly claiming my primary health insurance would not cover the service. I disputed owing an amount of 205.00 dollars (150.00 for the vaccination and 55.00 for the administration of the shot) as I had given them a 3rd payer who would pay for the service. They refused to bill the 3rd party saying they do not have a relationship with the payer and therefore I am responsible for the bill. I am now sitting on an Invoice under (1) account number from the physicians group for $205.00. Fair enough.

The physician group sent the bill to a collection agency who contacted me with a demand for payment letter requesting a single payment of $205.00. I responded to that letter with a validation request. The collection agent responded by sending a copy of an internal statement from the physician group invoice as proof of service - whereby the statement line itemed 150.00 for the vaccination and 55.00 for the administration for the shot totaling 205.00. The collection agent is now reporting to the CRA's (2) two separate collection accounts using (2) different internal account numbers, (1) one for 150.00 and (1) for 55.00. 

I intend to pay the physicians group directly the amount I owe them and notify the collection agency the debt has been paid and demand removal.

Questions:

Are the FCRA violations I am not seeing here? The collection agent is not accurately reporting the account nor reporting the account in the same way as: the physician group invoice to me, and original demand for payment letter sent to me by the collection agent. The CA is reporting (1) one account as (2) two - both of which are inaccurate.

When I pay the physicians group, what information should I write on the check? i.e. my account number with the physicians group, each individual acccount number from the collection agent being reported on the credit report - any calculations?

Any help greatly appreciated. ...

I would send a simply worded dispute to the collector via CMRRR.  When the green card comes back, then I would send them a cease communication via CMRRR.  In parallel, I would pay the physicians group directly for the full amount, plus any interest.  If they refuse to accept the payment and tell me to pay the debt collector, then I would tell them that party is not allowed, by law, to communicate with me, and that paying them is the only available option.

Of course, I would not have let it get this far.  With one exception, I've paid all my doctor bills during the visit it applies to.  The one exception was my doctor making a visit (at night, and in a major snow storm) to me in the hospital.

I helped a friend clear EIGHT medical bills off her CR, which were all from the same hospital visit.

She had blood drawn, x-rays, doctor visit, etc..... and each thing was considered a separate account by the CA.

Even though she was only sent ONE bill from the doctor's group.

I think this kind of thing happens all the time, which is wrong. Don't think it's a violation though.

However - it got me thinking:

Imagine if CA's started to report credit card debt that went unpaid like this; as 'separate instances' based on monthly statements.

Or worse, if they reported based on each TIME you used the credit card...  Clothes, Gas, Groceries, etc, all as separate CB entries...

Sorry, don't want to give any of the CA's the visit here any ideas...

• Like 1

If the $150 vaccination and the $55 administration of the shot were both under the same account number with the physician group, I'd be disputing this in a hurry with the CRAs.  I seriously doubt the physician group assigned one account number to the vaccination and a separate account number for the administration of the shot.

Your FIRST dispute should be with the credit reporting agencies.   This is to preserve your right to sue the CA, necessary.  If your first dispute regarding those entries is with the CA, you lose your right to sue the CA for FCRA violations.

After disputing with the CRAs, if the entries are verified by the CA, you need to then dispute directly with the CA.  If they refuse to cooperate, get an attorney.

The doctor office is not obliged to bill the third party that you provided to pay for the shot, they are right on that, in fact if they go jerks they do not have to bill your insurance. About the 2 entries I got the same issue, but I got the entries removed, I belive is nothing new for medical CAs. I would call the doctor and tell them to recall it from the CA for you to pay them.