Sign in to follow this  
TexanNCali

Who should I pay AT&T or Southwest Credit Systems?

I have a Southwest Credit Systems collection on my credit report. I did not recognize this account but started putting two and two together. It is an old AT&T account (still within the SOL) that I thought had been closed and paid in full. My plan was to dispute the account as not mine since the OC is listed as Cingular Wireless. Before I could file the dispute with the CRA’s, I noticed that the amount owed to Southwest Credit Systems had decreased by exactly $300. Turns out my wife made a payment to AT&T a few months ago, in hopes of fulfilling the debt. She needs to start reading the vast amount of information on this site but I digress. AT&T reported the payment to Southwest who in turn decreased the balance. AT&T does not appear on my credit report. I called AT&T and found out that we still owe $350 but according to Southwest we owe $466. My question is who do I pay? I am under the impression that I should send a PFD letter to Southwest Credit Systems since there TL is on my report. However, I would prefer to deal with AT&T since they are accepting payment. Is there a way I can pay AT&T but insure the Southwest TL is removed? Any advice would be appreciated.  I realize before we pay anymore we need to have everything in writing as to assure a PFD has been negotiated. Thanks

Have you tried to get a PFD deal with the collection agency?  

You can pay AT&T and they should notify the collections firm that the account has been paid.   The collection agency will have little motivation to keep reporting the account.   You can dispute the listing and it could possibly come off your credit report when you dispute with the credit bureau.  Reporting on your credit report is considered collection activity in some states, notably Arizona.  You can DV the collection agency or even dispute directly with the collection agency.  

First of all, thank you for your help and response. I have not tried to get a PFD with the CA. I wanted to see if I could take care of this through AT&T first. I am able to log in to their website and pay them directly. Believe it or not, I even printed a bill from AT&T which indicates a past due balance but goes on to say amount due in full by Jan 12, 2013.

I found this strange since a Southwest Credit Systems negative TL has been placed on my CR. Yesterday, I talked and emailed AT&T the majority of the day. They agreed to recall and delete the debt over the phone. I documented the employees first and last name. I also got his employee #. I immediately emailed AT&T to confirm and verify what their customer rep told me.

We have sent emails back and forth but I still don't feel I have enough to hold up if they decide not to remove the TL. First they offered to close the account. Then AT&T said, “once you have made the payment of the balance to us then it will be removed from any credit reporting”. I find this statement very vague.

I am going to send one final email asking for a signed, written agreement, on company letterhead. I will see how they respond. I am contemplating contacting the BBB or sending the CA a PFD letter along with my emails from AT&T.

You mentioned, above, that after AT&T receives payment the CA would have little motivation to keep reporting the account. Does this mean that the CA might delete the TL? I do not want the TL marked paid, closed as I believe this will still show as a negative TL on my CR. You also mentioned disputing with the CRA’s. I assume you mean to dispute the TL before I send payment? I have not considered DV'ing the CA as this negative just appeared on my CR and is still well within the SOL. Please advise. Thanks

I'd try to get a PayForDelete deal in writing, of course, with the CA.  Don't admit this is your debt and follow the pay for delete process as outlined on the link at the top of this forum website.  It might be worth the extra bucks to keep the collection off of your credit report.  

On the other hand, if you just pay AT&T and dispute with the credit bureaus, they could remove the collection.  If you just pay AT&T, the collection could come off of your credit report on its own.  

The surest way to keep it off is a pay for delete.  

However, if you pay and are stuck with the collection you could go all the way and challenge it in court.  They most probably would not have the documentation that the collection is yours.  That would be a lot of time and effort to get it off, but like I said, they would have very little motivation to keep the collection on, especially if you paid AT&T.

I spoke with a very nice gentleman by the name of David who took all of my information and made a bunch of annotations to my account, stating to me that he was in the process of initiating the correction process with  Southwest Credit Systems.  He then stated to me that I should see the change by July 3, 2008 or that I would hear from them in regards to the status of the account if the correction had not been made by then.

I spoke with a very nice gentleman by the name of David who took all of my information and made a bunch of annotations to my account, stating to me that he was in the process of initiating the correction process with  Southwest Credit Systems.  He then stated to me that I should see the change by July 3, 2008 or that I would hear from them in regards to the status of the account if the correction had not been made by then.

Good information!

Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond but I have been given nothing but the runaround. Approximately January 8, 2013, I realized that AT&T had recalled the debt from Southwest Credit Systems. The debt was sent to EOS CCA.

After dealing with EOS, I received an email today (January 29, 2013) that stated “the account has been closed and returned to the client (AT&T), and as such, our office will not contact you any further”. I am positive that if I had not initiated contact with EOS, I would’ve never heard from them. I offered to pay EOS the debt in full if they validated it.

Today, I called AT&T hoping they would tell me that they had the debt and I could pay them in full. However, I was just told that the debt has been transferred, yet again, to Diversified Consultants. So in the last month, this debt has gone from Southwest Credit Systems to EOS to Diversified Consultants.

AT&T is not reporting on my CR and I can still pay them directly. I have asked AT&T for a final invoice and payment history 4 times now. I haven’t received anything despite being told that the aforementioned documents were sent. I have never received a phone call or dunning letter from Southwest Credit Systems or EOS. Perhaps I will hear from Diversified.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I am prepared to pay the debt in full if I can obtain a PFD letter. This debt is still within the SOL. Any advice would be much appreciated. I guess I will send a PFD to Diversified. 

I will have to check my CR's again since the debt was just transferred to Diversified today. As of last week, Southwest was still reporting on 1. I expect when I check the report again, Southwest will be removed. According to the EOS letter I have, they did not report to the CB's.

I forgot to mention that I was told by AT&T that this account would be charged off in Feb. Now I'm worried about AT&T's charge off status being on my CR for 7 years as well as a collection.

AT&T should be being reported already if they are going to do so?  Why wait until a charge off?

AT&T is not reporting. I am worried they might report it next month as a CO that was sold to Diversified. I'm going to pay AT&T right now! Thanks for all your advice.