Is this a legal tactic by Verizon?

onalert247

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have ran the validation /dispute gauntlet on a an alleged debt for Verizon for the past year.  I recently noticed on my Experian CR Verizon listed under Creditor's statement

"Paying under a partial payment agreement" knowing this is absolute BS because I have adamently disputed the validity of this debt, I contacted their National Recovery Dept to question what I believe to be a fraudulent tactic to reset the reporting date.

I was advised that they sent me a settlement letter (LIE) and that once they do that they always place this statement on the individuals credit report until they are contacted by the individual.  Is this a violation?

Verizon is the OC.... they are not subject to the FDCPA.

If you don't pay them they can put this on your credit report, yes.

I don't see that as a violation.

You might want to ask their recovery department to send you another settlement letter.

If you want to settle, do it, but get the terms in *writing* first, so you know how it will go.

You can also dispute the listing as incorrect with the Credit Bureaus

Actually National Recovery might be a CA trying to collect for the OC, so a dispute letter is possible, if they actually are for what I grasp from the post. Putting the debt as settled when it was not is misrepresenting the debt an a FDCPA violation, a letter offering a settlement is not a settlement to have a settlement both parties must agree, not just one, it might also be an FCRA violation since the info is inacurate, you can dispute this with the CRA and have it corrected, if it comes verified sue them.

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with Torden that they provided false information on my CR. What will be the most effective way to get a positive response for their violation? Their rep admitted that this was a common practice. How are they getting away with this?