How many hard inquiries is to many?

want to love my credit

How many hard inquiries is too many and will look bad when you try to get a mortgage loan? Since we are trying to raise our credit we have recently gotten a small personal loan and applied for 2 credit cards (approved for one but not the other). All together over the past 2 years and most of these are more recent in the past 6 months Equifax 4 hard inquiries, Transunion 3, Experian 6.   Are these high numbers to have and will it affect our chances of getting a mortgage loan in the next few months?

Good question.  I don't think that applying for two credit cards is going to significantly decrease your chances for a mortgage.  As counter-intuitive as it may seem, credit scores are improved when you apply for and receive new credit.   

However, six hard pulls sounds like a lot.  One thing you might try is to talk to loan officer and ask them specifically this question.  You don't have to give them your credit information for a call like this.  They are on the front lines and may be able to answer this general question for you.  

• Like 1

Here's a tip for the future.

When you are going to shop for car or house loans.

Pull your 3 in 1 report with scores. Print and take with you.

They (car or mortgage co) will tell you they will have to pull one of their own before "final" approval but you can get an up or down based on the one you printed.

I've done this for more than 20 years and only let the one I ultimately do business with pull their own.

This keeps inquiries to a minimum and saves time.