Jump to content

Should I pay to settle or hire lawyer to respond to the summons? 30 expires in a few days! HELP!


Recommended Posts

Hi, i'm new to this forum and i'm in desperate need of help!


I've been served by the Main Street Acquisition Corp who's predecessor in interest is HSBC Bank Nevada.The summons was filed by Nelson & Kennard, Robert Scott Kennard, S.B.N. 117017 who is representing Main Street Acquisition. I've researched online about Main Street Acquisition and they are a collection agency that buys debt and sues the people. I searched online on how to respond to the summons and read articles saying to write a letter (below is the letter I wrote to respond to the summons) to request for documentations to prove what I allegedly owe and how MSA came up with the amount that I allegedly owe. I also read online that a lot of people saying that they won just by responding to the summons by writing the Request to Validate a Debt.

I went to the court clerk to file a response, but the clerk said that my letter is not valid and they don't accept it. She said I needed to file legal papers. They said I need to hire an attorney and file the same paperwork as the summons I receieved.


I do not know what to do, I am being sued for $1,261. Can someone or a lawyer please help me out?? It would be greatly appreciated!!!


1. Should I just call the Main Street Acquisition Corp and pay off the debt? If I call the plaintiffs attorney to pay off (the summon only has the attorney info and no info for Main Street Acquisition), do I need to somehow respond to the summons with the court? Can anyone help me explaining this process?


2. Is it true that the letter I wrote is not valid to respond to the summons? Do I have to hire an attorney to file the response? How come the internet, people wrote that they were able to reply by only mailing a Request for Debt Validation letter?


3. Is there any other way to beat this without hiring a lawyer?
















To Whom It May Concern:

I am sending this letter to you in response to a summons I received from you on date. Be advised, this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 ( B) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

This is NOT a request for "verification" or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your office provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

Please provide me with the following:

  1. Provide copies of all documents or correspondences of what the money you say I owe is for;
  2. Explain and provide all documents or correspondence to show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
  3. Provide copies of all documents or correspondences that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
  4. Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
  5. Identify the original creditor;
  6. Any and all copies of documents or correspondence from the Defendant to Plaintiffs
    predecessor in interest regarding the HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. charge account
  7. Any and all copies of documents or correspondence from Plaintiffs predecessor in
    interest to the Defendant regarding the HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. charge account
  8. Any and all copies of documents or correspondence from the Defendant to the
    Plaintiff regarding the HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. charge account
  9. Any and all copies of documents or correspondence from the Plaintiff to the
    Defendant regarding the HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. charge account
  10. Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account;
  11. Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
  12. Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent.

If your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the three major Credit Bureau's (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion), said action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

  1. Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
  2. Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
  3. Defamation of Character

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel. This includes any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls or correspondence sent to any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter.

This is an attempt to correct your records, any information obtained shall be used for that purpose.

Best Regards,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you were served a summons, this is not proper. When were you served?


There should be a complaint that states a cause of action. You must reply with an "Answer" which must be filed with the court and sent to the plaintiff with proof of delivery. California rules are very different so I will let someone from CA walk you through it. There are many threads on here from people who have recently won their case in Cali.


A debt validation letter is something you send when they are actively trying to collect on a debt BEFORE you are served. Once you are served it pretty pointless.


This is not a very large debt and you should be able to fight this yourself without an attorney.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flyerfan is correct, this won't fly if you were served a Summons.


We need the details of the Summons & Complaint specifically.


You need to research a letter of General Denial admiting ONLY to your name.


Their Summons would list a list of complaints and you'd Admit or Deny them. That's it.

Then you take some time on here and learn how this game works.

For the amount of money they're sueing for, I'd agree with FF, you can do this yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like the guys said, you can fight this yourself without a lawyer. I, too, am up against Main Street. I plan to fight them myself and NOT pay them a dime. If you give in and try to settle, you will regret it in the end. Get on here and read, read and read. Then research what you will need to do to win. Post up your stuff that you get without any identifiable info and we will help you.


If and when you can do it, I would also consider going with arbitration with JAMS to help you run them off. Lot's of stuff on here about arb too. Just search for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.