Wrong Number Collection Calls

drlumen

Hello all.

First off, I would like to say this is my first post here. Luckily I have been able to dodge most CA's since getting my record cleaned up with help from the old Art-Of-Credit site. My current issue is minor and not really critical but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I keep getting calls to my number from collectors looking for the previous owner of the phone number.  While it usually only takes telling them that they have the wrong number to stop them, it usually only stops them for a month or so. Then, the next DB in the chain starts calling.  I didn't go through the hassle of getting Sherman off my back to still have to deal with ALL the clowns now.

I have resisted changing my phone number (the whole devil-you-know mentality). Any suggestion on how to get them to stop?

TIA.

PS. I have had the phone 3+ years and counting now. Many DB's have called in that time...

And changing your phone number a 4th time will simply repeat the process if the prior owner of THAT number didn't pay his bills.

When I had this problem many years ago I simply told the collectors that their target did not have that number any more, it is my number now and I don't owe you anything. Call again at your own risk. This was before TCPA and FDCPA.

If they continued calling I took on the persona of the person they were trying to collect from and played with them. At the time I also was a bill collector so it became a situation of one bill collector stringing along another.

What are your options? Place that number in your "refuse" list. Threaten them with a TCPA suit if they call again and document it. Sue them under TCPA.

Initially I was logging every call and considered sending a cease and desist.  The underlying problem is that it is rarely the same company or source phone #.  Once debt buyer A knows it's the wrong number and they have no form of contact with the original debtor they sell the account to debt buyer B. Debt buyer B does some form of crappy skip tracing and gets my number from some out-of-date website listing for the original debtor. Then the process starts all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat...

In a way, I almost wish they would come after me personally as, at least, I would have some form of defense and could get them to stop. I'm also tempted to see how much the original debt was and then decide if it is worthwhile to pay it off.

Sue "John Doe" then subpoena the JDB to reveal who provided them with the wrong phone number.  Then amend the suit to name whoever provided them with your phone number.  I'd wait until at least the third JDB just to show it as an ongoing pattern.

• Like 1

I would not bother changing your phone number. What will happen is that you will get the number of another deadbeat. If this is a cell phone, I would make sure to send a C&D letter and note in the letter that you have never given permission for them to call the cell number under the TCPA and that any implied permission is revoked for them, their heirs, assignees, etc. When you sue the next JDB that calls, it is not your fault that they did not get warned by the previous owner of the debt of your intentions under the TCPA.

• Like 1

It may have been covered in another thread but:

1. Get their correct information

2. Send them a letter that this is YOUR phone number now, to C&D.

3. Inform them that you will sue them if they persist in attempting to call.

4. Document everything and sue. You may find you *like* getting calls... lol...

As one other poster said, 'rinse, lather, repeat' with each JDB / CA = $$