Member name "Array" - Hacker or Administrative tool

bohey

Can anyone explain to me who the member named "array" is? I notice a couple of times a day that all posts are listed as last used by "array" . All are posted like this.

Is this an administrative computer update tool ad in an "array" or Is this a hacker downloading our precious info?

There is something going on with this that's of concern. The three attempts to open locked up my forum page and I had to close and re open to get it back.  It may not be but it acts like a virus. If Bohey is having trouble I would suggest he change his password and strength in his router. 

HP

I agree. It almost looks like "Someone" runs a computer array which pulls a number (or all) accounts. it can be set up by a macro in a computer report. thos wsy the culprit has a listing (or deta) if programmed properly. The array seems to run early morning, early afternoon and then around right after dinner

I was just wondering if admin knows this - they might want to get their guru involved. someone is downloading this info for whatever reason. just curious if anyone else Noticed it

I'm not saying We don't have a problem...but...I'm on all hours of  the day and night, and I have not seen this behavior.  I will continue to watch for it.

So...just to cover all possibilities...what browser aree you guys using?  Do you have virus checking?  which one?  Have you run a few scan of your machines recently? 

There was a first time poster a week or so ago that included a PDF file.  My virus scanner (Microsoft) reported a javascript trojan in the file.  I deleted it from the post.

The only thing I noticed recently was I think Tuesday, the site was a total mess, I couldn't even log in. I got all 404 errors, then it would come back, but it was all messed up and superimposed over itself, no forums, nothing. It opened okay in Firefox and cleared up in IE8 about two hours later. It's been okay since, altho page load time is still awful due to the advertising scripts etc.

Just saw what you're talking about. I was looking at topics posted in under a member profile and all said array as the last person who posted. Once clicked on nothing showed under that and when I went back nothing showed that name again and all the last person posting in those threads had changed to various members

It could be a board variable name, and it so happens at times that you see it. It could also be bot behavior but the Mods and Admin haven't seen anything other than the PDF. If you know the times it happens you can scan the router logs for IP addresses on at the times of the arraying.

Yes java was compromised and thats a shame, but other than the board outage the other day which I saw also, we had no problem.

Yes someone could be gathering data, and yes we have seen posts from CIC on click sites, but let's not be too alarmed about this.

In the interim everybody update their MS, and Java, add some good or ok virus protection (I use AVG, Malwarebytes, Spybot search and destroy and certain router settings) so being worried about hackers here while prudent would be a waste of hacker time. Hackers are more apt to be members of CIC than enemies of it.

and if the JDB's could do something like that they would be very stupid to do so because civil rico and other things would hammer them on the fanny.

Lastly, I wouldn't want to stir the nest up here many posters here are possibly(allegedly) grown up hackers in retirement. So I would say It is prudent to report this to the mods and great that the heads up is here.

Thanks Bohey it is an awesome thing to reort such things because even if it doesn't pan out we can always be vigilant vs. "vigilante".

This is not a virus, hack or attack in any way. It is a documented bug in IP Board as documented in November last year. Supposedly fixed on 21 Nov 2012, then re-reported in December. 

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/array-showing-instead-of-user-names-r39960

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/327175-unhelpful-error-messages-such-as-array-error-for-pms/