Sign in to follow this  
waverlymike

Tax Warrant Vacate Help

Has anyone dealt with and had success with vacating a NY tax warrant? The story is as follows -

I worked two jobs for a few years. This year, apparently the IRS modified one of my W2s from 2008 which then changed what my state return should have been.

I received a bill from NY Tax and Finance sometime in the middle of last year (around June). I moved a few weeks later and kind of forgot about it. So, in around November I received another bill and went through my tax info to try to figure it out why (the bill said nothing about why I owed the money).

A couple weeks later I checked my credit karma score (I do every morning) and was shocked to see it drop about 40 points because of the addition of a public record (tax warrant). So I immediately went online and paid the bill. I called and they explained why I had owed the bill. 

Now, mind you, this was a $298 bill from something that occurred this year in relation to a change made on my 2008 return.

The guy that I talked to at the collections office of NY T&F told me that I could write a letter to the Tax and Finance Correspondence Office to "plead my case" to ask to have it vacated. He said in 30 - 60 days I would receive a letter of satisfaction but that I could send the letter to Correspondence now if I wanted.

I wrote them a letter basically outlining how it was a very innocent mistake, for a small amount of money, from a change I did not understand that I paid immediately. Saying how I've been working on my credit, want to buy a house soon and this is going to really ruin my chances. Asking them out of the kindness of their hearts to help me, etc. I sent it a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I know things work slowly with state bureaucracies but I am really freaked out by this.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Any idea what I should do? I really appreciate any assistance at all because I have been working so hard to clean up all of the negatives on my CR, have been very responsible the past few years and this is really just a huge setback for me.

Side note, I have heard that it is almost as bad to have a paid lien as it is to have it sit unpaid (like a paid collection). Also, does having the warrant vacated actually remove it permanently from my record so that it doesn't show up on my credit?

I'd try following up with a phone call.  

I had good success with a state tax lien filed in Missouri (I'd never lived there) and talked to the folks and got them to see things my way on that.  

Yes.  Satisfied won't help your credit score much.  

The guy in their civil enforcement department wouldn't give me another # and simply said they wouldn't do it and that having a satisfied judgement is not bad as long as it is paid. He also said a vacated one still shows up on your CR. Are these true??

You started another thread on this topic and I have answered you there.  I'd push for the vacated judgment.