Sign in to follow this  
waverlymike

Confused Tax Warrant Paid/Vacate

I am really confused about this topic. There was a tax warrant placed on me for less than $300 for something that I was unaware was happening. It was an innocent mistake. I paid it immediately and sent a letter to the NY tax correspondence department. I then followed up today (3 weeks after I sent the letter) and asked if there was somebody I could talk to in order to have the warrant vacated.

First he told me they only did that if the warrant was placed in error or if I paid it before it was placed. I paid it about 3 days after and was unaware it was being placed it was for around $300. So anyways, I ask "so this $300 bill that I was unaware of is going to screw me for like seven years now?"

The guy tells me that having a warrant vacated does not remove it from credit and that it is the same thing as a satisfied warrant. He said "from experience in the banking industry once it is satisfied it doesn't negatively affect your credit. So it won't screw your credit if it is paid."

This really runs counter to everything that I have read. 

A) Does having a warrant vacated remove it from your credit history?

B) Is having it vacated the same as satisfied as far as credit is concerned?

C) Does having a paid/satisfied warrant not affect your credit?

D) Is there anything I can do about this?

If you can get it vacated, I would definitely send that into the credit bureaus.  They should remove it.  

The guy isn't an expert on credit, so I wouldn't take his word for anything.