dnj7lisa

If I consolidate my student loans will that change on my credit report too?

I took out some student loans from the US dept of Ed. during school.  They are all currently showing up on my credit report separately...basically showing 8 different loans from each semester they were taken out.  If I consolidate these loans will they change on my credit report too?  So that they will show only 1 loan instead of 8 different loans?

Currently I'm in default of these loans but am working on making monthly payments so that they can be rehabilitated.  Once my loan is in rehabilitation and the US Dept of Ed takes back the loan I would like to know if consolidating them will make a difference on my credit report.

Would hate to have all those loans showing up separately for the rest of my life...especially since I only make 1 payment on them.  Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!  

The loans will still show up on your credit report. The question becomes though when they will fall off. If derogatory, they will fall off after 7 years. If considered good, they will stay for 10 years after you consolidate. As long as they are paid off, they will not follow you for the rest of your life. I consolidated in 2001 and most of those have since fell off after the 10 year mark with no payments made but shown paid as agreed because I did pay as agreed.