Debt Assigned or Sold to Collection Agency

odjohnson3

Is their any way to know wether or not a debt has been assigned or sold to the collection agency....

The original creditor isnt listing the account but the collection agency is....

Ive contacted the original creditor (Los Angeles Fire Dept EMT) and they said that the account is with the collection agency now so all payment arangements or negotiation must got thru them. Its a medical debt and jus doesnt seem like the City of Los Angeles would actually sell this debt.

Im just trying to find a certain way of finding out who actually owns the debt so I can figure out who to deal with in regards to getting it removed via (pay for delete) im unsure if the HIPPA method would apply being that this was an EMT ambulance and not an actual hospital

Thanks for all the help

If your dealing with a JDB now, I doubt that you will get a paid for delete. And if you do it will only be from the JDB's posting as they have no control over the OC and I doubt the OC will delete. So, your back at square one. The JDB may or may not delete, if they do, it will still be on your CR from the OC's posting.

If your dealing with a JDB now, I doubt that you will get a paid for delete. And if you do it will only be from the JDB's posting as they have no control over the OC and I doubt the OC will delete. So, your back at square one. The JDB may or may not delete, if they do, it will still be on your CR from the OC's posting.

I respectfully disagree - you can get the collection removed.  However, you are right that the original account with the OC won't be removed.  

Is their any way to know wether or not a debt has been assigned or sold to the collection agency....

The original creditor isnt listing the account but the collection agency is....

Ive contacted the original creditor (Los Angeles Fire Dept EMT) and they said that the account is with the collection agency now so all payment arangements or negotiation must got thru them. Its a medical debt and jus doesnt seem like the City of Los Angeles would actually sell this debt.

Im just trying to find a certain way of finding out who actually owns the debt so I can figure out who to deal with in regards to getting it removed via (pay for delete) im unsure if the HIPPA method would apply being that this was an EMT ambulance and not an actual hospital

Thanks for all the help

Just because the account is with a CA doesn't mean the account has been sold.  There's a difference between an CA and a JDB.  Not all collection agencies (CA) purchase defaulted accounts.  They strictly collect for the original creditor. 

I'd contact the fire department and ask that if you were to pay the debt, would the fire department get the payment?  If the answer is "yes", then the fire department has not sold the account.  The CA is collecting FOR the fire department and is not a JDB (junk debt buyer).

In any case, there's no guarantee of a removal of the entry on your CR.  If the CA is collecting for the fire department, they have a right to report the account.  Our credit reports our account history. 

If you find out for sure that the CA is legitimate, whether or not they delete might depend upon their company policy.  It might require a full payment.  It doesn't hurt to negotiate.