Sign in to follow this  
Shafee

Messed up: Missed the 30 day period to respond

So I have my full response for an admissions/interrogatories, but I am an idiot and got too caught up with other things and have missed the 30 day period in which it needs to be sent out.  It has now been 32 days -- so my question is what do I do?  Should I just go ahead and mail them out anyway, do I need to file for some kind of motion of extension, or did I mess up and default my case?

I'm having a hard time finding the format online, so I will probably visit the clerk on Monday for a form.  Should I wait until the motion is accepted before I send out my response?  It is already ready to go, I just have to mail it, but I am unsure if I am supposed to wait until my motion is actually accepted, or if I should send it the same time I send the motion.

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it.

So I have my full response for an admissions/interrogatories, but I am an idiot and got too caught up with other things and have missed the 30 day period in which it needs to be sent out.  It has now been 32 days -- so my question is what do I do?  Should I just go ahead and mail them out anyway, do I need to file for some kind of motion of extension, or did I mess up and default my case?

There is also 5 days allowed for mailing(check your rules) I would just send them anyway (overnight delivery maybe), debt collectors are always late with them as well. I would send them discovery of your own also.

Do you have a fax number or an email address that you

could fax or eamil an e-copy with a cover letter

stating that the hard copy is in the mail?

Then if you want to go to the PO and use the kiosk to send

you can.... or drop it in a box.....

OR go send it by UPS or FED EX... they are open today.

I wouldn't worry and just send them along to the plaintiff.

In one of my cases, the plaintiff did not respond in time to my discovery requests. I then had to file for a motion to compel, they were then given an additional 20 to 30 days. They finally sent them back to me on the last day of the deadline.

Unless you run into a judge that is biased in favor of the JDB's I doubt they would sanction you if you sent it along to them a couple days late, just make sure you are not late to respond to court motions or hearings.

Again in my case the plaintiff was late in responding and it didn't ruin their case, so hopefully it works both ways.

What they said. If you haven't heard from them, just mail them. So they're late. Big deal. Everything they do is late too. They probably don't even know you haven't responded. This is so minor you wouldn't believe it.

If they didn't send it registered mail...

How would they prove what day you actually received it?

Just saying...

Mine came regular mail...

If they didn't send it registered mail...

How would they prove what day you actually received it?

Just saying...

Mine came regular mail...

I believe they start the count down from the day they sent (served) it, and allow 5 days for mail.

So, I guess if you went on vacation for a month...

you would be screwed. ?

Yep.

So, I guess if you went on vacation for a month...

you would be screwed. ?

Who goes on vacation for an entire month and where do I apply for THAT job? I took two days off last week and I'm still catching up.