Hospital Pre-checks Authorization to Pay, I unchecked it, checked No and wrote my initials next to No box

awwwgeez

My hospital pre-checks every single box that's on the back of their registration form; this includes the box where you agree that you're responsible for whatever charges your ins company does not pay. Preregistration, for whatever reason, always seems to be rushed. They give you a pen, point to the signature line below all the checked boxes, and tell you to "sign here and date there." This past fall I was scheduled for outpatient back surgery. During preregistration I was given the form to sign and as the woman started to work on her computer, I placed a bold X over the financial resp box, checked no and added my initials. The woman never noticed.

My questions,....Can the hosp legally check all the boxes for you? 

Since I unchecked the "yes" next to the financial box, am I still responsible for the amount Medicare didn't pay? It is noted on the front of my reg form that I am unemployed and am receiving SSDI. 

I'm now in collections for the amount Medicare did not cover, around $850. I'm scheduled for repeat back surgery in March, Can they deny me this surgery if I refuse to agree to be responsible for the charges? 

Thanks

You are responsible for whatever Medicare has left as patient liability, whether you have agreed to that on the hospital's paperwork or not. While the hospital can't refuse you emergency treatment, they can refuse elective services. Have you checked into whether you qualify for Medicaid to pick up the remaining charges?

You are responsible for whatever Medicare has left as patient liability, whether you have agreed to that on the hospital's paperwork or not. While the hospital can't refuse you emergency treatment, they can refuse elective services. Have you checked into whether you qualify for Medicaid to pick up the remaining charges?

No you are not. When medicare providers accept to receive medicaid payments, they agree that what ever medicaid pays for a prodecure is concidered paid in full. If the hospital or doctor tries to bill a medicaid patient for the excess amount, this is called balance forwarding, it is considered medicaid fraud.

Medicaid regulation:

42 CFR §447.15: Acceptance of State payment as payment in full

A State plan must provide that the Medicaid agency must limit participation in the Medicaid program to providers who accept, as payment in full, the amounts paid by the agency plus any deductible, coinsurance or co-payment required by the plan to be paid by the individual

• Like 1

You are responsible for payment, you got Medicare not Medicaid. Also I doubt they will refuse treatment, I got a friend on the same situation, with only Medicare and he never pays his share and of today he goes to the same doctors, they still make money but a bit less. Try to get part B, and or Medicaid so you pay less or nothing. if you get part B there are several Advantage plans (HMO's), that will cover pretty much everything with a small or no copayment.