Sign in to follow this  
sillel

Small payments?

Hello,

First time visitor/poster. Brief background for you...

For years I had been up to date on my monthly payments with all accounts until I became pregnant last year. 2 months into my pregnancy, I was removed from work entirely & placed on full time bedrest of the remainder of my pregnancy. I did not qualify for unemployment, disability or state assistance. Luckily I was in a position where I resided in an in law apartment of a family members home so I was able to get by for the remainder of my pregnancy with a roof over my head.

At 6 months pregnant, my prior employer allowed me to work from home for a very limited amount of hours per week, just enough to help supplement my income-that $ went to food,car insurance & my car loan. Therefore, with no substantial income for approx. 8 months of last year-my credit cards went unpaid. Throughout that time, I was up front & honest with all creditors & for the most part they were very understanding.

Upon the birth of my son, I was not able to return full time to work as daycare in this area is very very costly & would eat up my entire check. So I am back to work now but still not full time. I am in a position where I can pay my cards by very very small payments-we are talking probably $10 a month max.

I do realize they do not have to accept a payment such as this, especially at this point. And I do realize that consumer debt counseling is probably an option for me considering my amount of debt/income but I would love to be able to explore this on my own first.

My question is how should I proceed? I have pulled all credit reports & all but one card still only shows with the original creditor-charged off but still with them. I know I need to contact everyone but should I send something in writing & wait for a response? Or should I contact them via phone & speak with the hardship department & go from there?

Or in this case, do you think I might be best with a counseling agency working on my behalf?  I know I will not have any $ anytime soon to offer settlements to any of the cards so making payments is my only option.

Thank you & sorry for the length!

Hello,

First time visitor/poster. Brief background for you...

For years I had been up to date on my monthly payments with all accounts until I became pregnant last year. 2 months into my pregnancy, I was removed from work entirely & placed on full time bedrest of the remainder of my pregnancy. I did not qualify for unemployment, disability or state assistance. Luckily I was in a position where I resided in an in law apartment of a family members home so I was able to get by for the remainder of my pregnancy with a roof over my head.

At 6 months pregnant, my prior employer allowed me to work from home for a very limited amount of hours per week, just enough to help supplement my income-that $ went to food,car insurance & my car loan. Therefore, with no substantial income for approx. 8 months of last year-my credit cards went unpaid. Throughout that time, I was up front & honest with all creditors & for the most part they were very understanding.

Upon the birth of my son, I was not able to return full time to work as daycare in this area is very very costly & would eat up my entire check. So I am back to work now but still not full time. I am in a position where I can pay my cards by very very small payments-we are talking probably $10 a month max.

I do realize they do not have to accept a payment such as this, especially at this point. And I do realize that consumer debt counseling is probably an option for me considering my amount of debt/income but I would love to be able to explore this on my own first.

My question is how should I proceed? I have pulled all credit reports & all but one card still only shows with the original creditor-charged off but still with them. I know I need to contact everyone but should I send something in writing & wait for a response? Or should I contact them via phone & speak with the hardship department & go from there?

Or in this case, do you think I might be best with a counseling agency working on my behalf?  I know I will not have any $ anytime soon to offer settlements to any of the cards so making payments is my only option.

Thank you & sorry for the length!

do NOT use an agency... I am new to this as well, but you can be certain that using an some sort of debt consolidation company would be a bad idea...I haven't heard a good outcome from one of them yet...

Payments will just renew your SOL, and $10 payments likely wouldn't be accepted anyway, and if they were, where will that get you?

That's all I got, maybe someone else will chime in.

I also would never use those credit counseling agencies.   I had a friend who used one and they took her money and never sent any to the creditors!  I am not sure what your complete financial situation is, but maybe you should consult a bankruptcy attorney if your situation seems dire.  There is no fee for a consultation.  Even if you were paying very little amounts, you would be paying on these accounts for years to come! 

Most definitely avoid the credit counseling services.  You won't get anywhere with those small payments.  Save up anything you could otherwise pay out.

I suggest you save a small amount of money - the money you would be paying to a debt settlement company - until you have enough for a settlement.  At that point, you can make a lump sum cash deal with them.    

The complete procedure for doing this is here: 

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/settle_debts.shtml

• Like 1

What state are you in? Has the sol run out yet or close to it? paying any amount will reset that anyway not a good thing.