Settling from Overseas

CRobin

I'm beginning the process of settling my credit cards and first of all I want to thank everyone on here for all the great tips! But I need a little bit of advice.

I have started overseas and, unfortunately, cannot keep sending money back to the US every month to pay my credit cards. Since I will be returning to the US eventually I would prefer to settle the CC debt I have rather than just walk. I have no property in the US (no car, no house, etc), all my money is in an overseas bank, and I work for an overseas company (with no US offices) so I figure I've got a good shot at settlement since taking me to court is going to be useless to them.

I've been reading up on how to do this on the various boards but I'm a little unsure if being overseas is going to affect the time frames or percentages I should shoot for. I'd like to settle before they end up getting turned over to outside debt collectors but I'm not sure if they're going to see I've moved overseas, figure I'm a lost cause, and just dump them as fast as they can.

Thanks!

If the cards are still active (meaning you can use them) then working out a pay strategy is probably a good idea.

If however the cards are closed the best strategy would be to wait and deal with the collectors (should they go to collection) to first request validation and then IF they validate settle therafter.