Jump to content

How to Deal With a Collector that is Not Covered By the FDCPA?


Recommended Posts

I was told by the state of Colorado I owe them money for unemployment over payment in 2010 and this is the first I have heard about this claim. I did talk to them on the phone and found out why, and I do not owe the money, but I have to go through the process. 


I received a letter from the state's collection services with the amount and the original creditor being the Dept of Labor. I also found out that this Colorado Collection Services is NOT bound by the FDCPA.


I assume I cannot send them the standard debt validation letter citing the FDCPA. 


Is there a sample on here of a letter for collection agencies that are not covered by the FDCPA?

Should I just send a letter asking for more information, or just disputing the claim and ask for more paperwork? 


I have never dealt with a collection agency that was not covered by the FDCPA before.


Thank You

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a similiar problem with Ohio regarding some business taxes they 'estimated" because my accountant didn't file the proper paperwork.


All you can do is send a letter explaining why you don't owe the money, along with any supoorting documentation.  Afterwwards, I had seeveral conversations with the collectors and they agreed I owed nothing.


But, each year when the "appointees" change, I wind up going thru it again...so keep good documentation and copies of any correspondance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.