Sign in to follow this  
dwright19

Equidata split amount of one account and reported both seperatly to CRAs

Equidata has placed two collection accounts on all 3 CRA's. The original amount was $712 owed to a cable provider. Equidata bought the debt and is now splitting the debt in two and reporting as separate accounts.

They did send a payment ledger from the OC that shows the full amount of $712 under one account number. The amount is from damaged equipment and a late payment. Equidata has one collection account for $185 for service and on for $527 for equipment. 

Are they allowed to buy this one debt and split it like that? What can I do if anything to get this taken care of. This is a validated debt but I am unsure if them splitting the account will work out in my benefit.

Thanks in advance

What do you mean it's a validated debt?  You already sent in a letter?  

Yeah I sent a letter requesting DV. They replied with:

Located in the Suddenlink Residential Agreement paragraph 1, Agreement states, "Customer agrees to be bound to this agreement by: (i) executing a copy of the service order presented to Customer at the time of installation, (ii) ordering a service,or (iii) using one or more Services at Customer's location." Activation and use of the service is acceptance of the Residential Services Agreement.

The attached payment ledger serves as validation of debt.

Contact our office for information on how to reconcile the account(s) or on how to return your cable provider's equipment. You can satisfy your account by calling our office and paying your account in full at no additional charge using your check, Visa, Debit, or MasterCard.

Equidata, Inc.

Federal law requires we inform you this is an attempt to collect a debt by a debt collector and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Also attached to the letter they sent me were screen shots of the payment ledger that i suppose is from Sudden link. It shows account activity and the services I was charged for and the fees for cable equipment and late payment.

Equidata bought the debt and is now splitting the debt in two and reporting as separate accounts.

How many "accounts" did you have with your original creditor?

If you had only one and collector is reporting more than that, seems to me that the debt is being misrepresented. If they can split one into two, what's to stop them from breaking it into 3, or 4, or more? Appears they're trying to damage your credit rating to the greatest extent possible. Time to contact an attorney in your area.

• Like 2

How many "accounts" did you have with your original creditor?

If you had only one and collector is reporting more than that, seems to me that the debt is being misrepresented. If they can split one into two, what's to stop them from breaking it into 3, or 4, or more? Appears they're trying to damage your credit rating to the greatest extent possible. Time to contact an attorney in your area.

It was only one account for a cable company. Equidata is the one breaking it into two accounts.

I'd follow nascar's advice and seek counsel.  It could mean a deletion plus and tidy $1K.  

I agree with the Admin and Nascar.  As I stated before, if Equidata was allowed to create more than one entry by dividing up a bill, what would stop credit card companies from doing the same thing on a credit report by breaking down a billing statement into one entry for charges you made and another entry for fees and interest.  It's not allowed.

Alright I have contacted a Lawyer to see if we can possible get my $1000 plus damages. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.  Thanks to everyone that replied to this!

Good luck!  Sending good thoughts your way!

Would the below be the law they are possibly violating by splitting this debt and dragging my credit rating down by reporting it twice?

§ 808.  Unfair practices [15 USC 1692f]

A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

(1) The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.

Your lawyer should know what to go after, but always pays to be self-educated.  

Well I cannot find a lawyer that wants anything to do with this. Im not sure why not I have contacted several and have not heard a single reply from any of them.

What are some other options I can go with in this situation?

Most lawyers prefer to take cases with large returns to them.  Water sharks are flabbergasted and feel so insulted because they will take whatever they get whenever they get it.

Are we overlooking a claim for fraud????? Financial injury???  FCRA???

I would say they intentionally reported this way because they know that one account would not hurt you as bad as two separate accounts.

Well I cannot find a lawyer that wants anything to do with this. Im not sure why not I have contacted several and have not heard a single reply from any of them.

What are some other options I can go with in this situation?

Did you try calling Amy Kleinpeter?

• Like 1

Are we overlooking a claim for fraud????? Financial injury???  FCRA???

I would say they intentionally reported this way because they know that one account would not hurt you as bad as two separate accounts.

And don't forget the Texas FDCPA.

Are you in North or South Texas? also some of the bigger firms may not be hungry look on the NACA site for a texas attorney. Also send a letter to The Texas AG for unfair business practice.

Are you in North or South Texas? also some of the bigger firms may not be hungry look on the NACA site for a texas attorney. Also send a letter to The Texas AG for unfair business practice.