North Shore Agency Letter.. Unusual???

witchywitch

I just received a collection letter from North Shore Agency.

It is not the usual collection letter I received so I want to ask if there is any violation or not.

The body of the letter goes like this:

Statement of Recovery
1. NSA has been retained to recover the monies you owed our client, XXXX. We are very good at it, and pursue payment diligently.
2. This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Statement of your indebtness
Your failure to resolve this matter with our client has caused your account to be placed with this professional collection agency.

Statement of our intentions.
Without your response, continued collection contact may continue. Govern yourself accordingly. To make full payment, make your check payable to NSA and mail it in the enclosed envelope.

The other info are at the back of the letter but this first page is very unusual to me.

Thanks.

Yep, they claim that they are very good at what they do! Wow, DOUBLE WOW!!! Are you scared yet? If not they will come up with more trying to scare you. You did not answer the question. We need to know how much the debt is for and if it's past SOL if we are going to try and help you. Hard to do on limited info.

I didn,t see the 30 day validation notice. If it is not in the letter they are not as god at it as they think they are.Is this the complete letter.

Their mini Miranda is vague and does not follow the guidelines that is set out in the fdcpa. They are not as good as they claim.

My answer would start with SUMMONS,

What is on the back of the letter?

Hi,

Sorry all for the delayed response.

They have mini miranda and the 30 day validation at the back of the letter.

I asked because I haven't received anything like this letter before and I am not sure whethere it violates something or not.

It is just for $32 and I do not even know for what it is. They gave me the name of the creditor. I remember ordering online twice before but paid it already. It might be for magazine subscription or something.

Thanks.

Go get your paperwork for that creditor in order to be sure.  Do the DV and see if they are good enough to respond.  If they do, then move on to the next step.  Personally, I'd throw in a demand (this is not the DV and has no legal force) for them to detail what they think the debt is.  Contact the retailer to demand they explain why they believe there is a debt ... and if they say there is one, why they did not contact you before sending it out to collections.

Go get your paperwork for that creditor in order to be sure.  Do the DV and see if they are good enough to respond.  If they do, then move on to the next step.  Personally, I'd throw in a demand (this is not the DV and has no legal force) for them to detail what they think the debt is.  Contact the retailer to demand they explain why they believe there is a debt ... and if they say there is one, why they did not contact you before sending it out to collections.

Thanks.

I received another collection letter just now from other collection company.

It is for the same creditor and for the same amount. $32.45

It is from Publisher's Clearing House (creditor).

I received some mail from them which I just tossed out. They usually just send me those sweepstakes and for life entries.

I didn't order anything so I didn't think it's important.

Could be someone picked your trash and ordered?

You have TWO CAs/JDBs trying to collect the SAME debt from the same OC?  What's the other one?

I guess I will have to make up my idea of a "rule 22 letter" to send to these "not very good at it"tm debt collectors.  Basically it would say something to the effect "I see you BOTH are trying to collect the SAME debt.  I will give you two 30 days to settle this matter between yourselves and report back which ONE owns the debt (along with proof), or you could both face being dragged into Federal court under rule 22 (ask your attorney what that means) and risk losing your rights to collect".

Approximately a year ago NSA sent me a letter. No claims of being " very good" at collections or to being a "professional collection agency" in my letter. It did had the 30 day notice on reverse with a list of various states consumer's rights.

Kind of a boring CA dunning letter. No obvious violations on my letter. Maybe they have recently tuned up their game to add a little spice.

NSA is NOT very good.  In fact they are BAD.  They are VERY BAD.  Their SUPPOSEDLY secure payment site at https://www.nsapay.com/ is NOT secure at all.  I just tested it and found it to be INSECURE.  The problem is a faulty authentication signature performed by GoDaddy.  Only a limited number of browsers will be able to verify the security.  The rest can be fooled by hackers.

The registered domain contact info is:

Registrant:   North Shore Agency   270 Spagnoli Road   Suite 110   Melville, New York 11747   United States   Administrative Contact:      Goodman, Kevin  keving@northshoreagency.com      North Shore Agency      270 Spagnoli Road      Suite 110      Melville, New York 11747      United States      +1.5164873690   Technical Contact:      Goodman, Kevin  keving@northshoreagency.com      North Shore Agency      270 Spagnoli Road      Suite 110      Melville, New York 11747      United States      +1.5164873690

Could be someone picked your trash and ordered?

You have TWO CAs/JDBs trying to collect the SAME debt from the same OC? What's the other one?

I guess I will have to make up my idea of a "rule 22 letter" to send to these "not very good at it"tm debt collectors. Basically it would say something to the effect "I see you BOTH are trying to collect the SAME debt. I will give you two 30 days to settle this matter between yourselves and report back which ONE owns the debt (along with proof), or you could both face being dragged into Federal court under rule 22 (ask your attorney what that means) and risk losing your rights to collect".

The second one is from Sunrise Credit Services, Inc. addressed in Farmingdale, NY.

It is for the same amount $32.45 with the same creditor Publisher's Clearing House.

What is rule 22? Thanks

As of April 3, 2012 NCO now operates under Expert Global Solutions Group.

NCO and APAC merged to form EGS. They still operate under their name of NCO financial.

Ron Rittenmeyer , CEO, Expert Global Solutions.

There has been news from an inside source I know, that government backed student loans may in the future be handled by EGS, with NCO being the serving agent. This has not been confirmed but was a rumor at the time I was told about it.

The second one is from Sunrise Credit Services, Inc. addressed in Farmingdale, NY.

It is for the same amount $32.45 with the same creditor Publisher's Clearing House.

What is rule 22? Thanks

It is the "Interpleader" action.  Basically it's kind of lawsuit where you are asking the court to decide who you owe the debt to where there appears to be more that one party.  Then it is up to those two parties to prevail over the other.  If one does not respond/answer/show at all, they lose in favor of the other.  It does NOT cancel your debt.  But it can cancel one of the party's right to collect.  If the two parties are in different jurisdictions, this has to go Federal.  Most states have a similar process, and many of them have it under the same rule number since they usually structure their rules along the lines of the Federal ones, and change things around within that structure.  If both parties are in the same state and the state has the same rule, you can pursue it at the state level.

Do the DV with both.  If both respond and validate, re-do (even if past 30) and mention the other exists and is making a claim against them.  And mention if they cannot resolve it they could end up being taken to court over a $32.45 account.  Mention that you cannot pay any debt until it is resolved.

JDBs do get/keep bad records.  They don't check what they buy, and assume it is valid.

It is the "Interpleader" action.  Basically it's kind of lawsuit where you are asking the court to decide who you owe the debt to where there appears to be more that one party.  Then it is up to those two parties to prevail over the other.  If one does not respond/answer/show at all, they lose in favor of the other.  It does NOT cancel your debt.  But it can cancel one of the party's right to collect.  If the two parties are in different jurisdictions, this has to go Federal.  Most states have a similar process, and many of them have it under the same rule number since they usually structure their rules along the lines of the Federal ones, and change things around within that structure.  If both parties are in the same state and the state has the same rule, you can pursue it at the state level.

Do the DV with both.  If both respond and validate, re-do (even if past 30) and mention the other exists and is making a claim against them.  And mention if they cannot resolve it they could end up being taken to court over a $32.45 account.  Mention that you cannot pay any debt until it is resolved.

JDBs do get/keep bad records.  They don't check what they buy, and assume it is valid.

And my first rule of everyday life is "an assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups."

• Like 1