broke toker jill

Verified Complaint California Unifund - What Form to Answer?

I found out I am being sued by Unifund. I have not been served yet though.  Got this info from the court house.  It was a debt that used to belong to Att Universal Card (Citibank).  They are suing for about 12,000 plus interest and attorney fees.  The causes of action are open book and account stated.  I don't know if this is or is not my debt. What form should I use to answer this? 

First step is you have knowledge of the suit and haven't been served. This is good because it allows you time to read threads and begin to learn the steps you will eventually take. Assuming the complaint is verfied as you say, you can use form PLD-C-010 to answer the complaint.

I would wait till you have been officially served, no reason to rush things. Justice moves slowly in California and is costly if you don't qualify for fee waivers on filings.

Begin to review threads regarding Bill of Particular, CCP 454, that will be your first shot over the bow, once you file and answer.

Best of Luck

make sure you use a verified answer or they can move to strike it. I wouldn't trust that you will be served properly if you are not served them watch the court every day and when the declaration of service comes in answer.

Wait until you see the complaint. They are rarely verified.  If it is actually verified, you will have to go paragraph-by-paragraph and respond to the complaint.  You will also need to verify your answer.

You need to go to the court house and get a copy of that record and see if it indeed is your address. I was watching the online court records and had 3 suits, my name is common, I knew one wasn't mine as I do not have 2 children, I watched them for a long time. My boyfriend got served one and then the other was a sewer service. When it finally showed that they filed paperwork that I was served, I went to the court house to see the paperwork the process server submitted. They claimed they served me at my door even though I was at a 2 day event in another town. It indeed had my address so it was indeed directed at me. Not the other 20 people in my town with the same name. Go to court and ask to look at that record file!

Wait until you see the complaint. They are rarely verified.  If it is actually verified, you will have to go paragraph-by-paragraph and respond to the complaint.  You will also need to verify your answer.

Is there a form to 'verify' the answer?  

My mom is getting sued by the same folks.  They never once tried to collect, just sent the complaint.  No reference to any account numbers, just a 'Citibank' in small print on one of the last pages.  So, since I've done this before, I have most of her affirmative defenses ready, just doing some last minute research and came across the suggestion to verify the answer.

Thanks!

Is there a form to 'verify' the answer?  

My mom is getting sued by the same folks.  They never once tried to collect, just sent the complaint.  No reference to any account numbers, just a 'Citibank' in small print on one of the last pages.  So, since I've done this before, I have most of her affirmative defenses ready, just doing some last minute research and came across the suggestion to verify the answer.

Thanks!

You shouldn't verify it unless you have to.  Post the language in the complaint that you think is a verification.