Can I send a 623 letter to OC if...

TexanNCali

The OC has sold the debt, they are not reporting. I have DV'd the CA. The CA is reporting. The CA has not responded to the DV. I have disputed the entry with the CRA's. I am awaiting their response. If the item comes back verified, can I 623 the OC?

I believe the amount the CA is reporting is inaccurate. I spoke with OC, they stated they have limited information regarding this account. I was given the balance owed but even the OC's customer rep said they didn't believe the charges were accurate.

Unfortunately, the OC no longer has access to the itemized statement of charges. I was told to contact the CA as they have all pertinent info. I have a letter from OC stating what information they have. Can I 623 the OC demanding an investigation of how the balance was calculated?

If the trade line comes back unverified, I would like to stop the CA from reinserting it or selling it to another CA . I have documentation showing that 2 out of the 3 numbers were ported to another carrier which proves the balance was paid. At the very least, the balance could not have reached what the OC alleges I owe.

I have been told to relay this info to the CA. I plan on doing so when I send my follow-up DV letter. Basically, I'm trying to establish a paper trial if and when I decide to sue or get sued. Thanks

Thanks! So I can 623 the CA under the FCRA? Should I do this in addition to sending a follow-up DV? Also when I disputed with CRA, I said the account was not mine. Do I have to dispute the balance with CRA, then 623 the CA? Do you have any advice to keep a deleted item from being reinserted or sold?

There is no followup DV, unless still within the 30 days from first communication.  If you kept the appropriate documentation, you can prove they violated if they did.  If they lost the DV, that's their error.  If it is past the 30 days, there's nothing more for you to do in that regard.

Ok thanks. I have all appropriate documentation in regards to sending the DV (green card). Is the CA required to respond within 30 days? I have found contradicting info that says it may or may not be a violation. I sent the DV within the 30 day initial communication period.

For a DV, the only 30 day requirement is that the recipient of communication from the debt collector must send the DV request within 30 days of the first communication for it to engage the legal requirement for them to stop collection activity until they respond with the bare minimum the law requires.  They could simply choose to not respond and still be safe by never attempting to collect.