How to request a jury trial/ court reporter

I did not know to request a jury trial when I first started this, but it's something I've started to toss around in my mind.  How does one request a jury trial after already having stated that I didn't want a jury trial on the CMC documents? 

Also, how do I get a court reporter to be at the trial date? 

Thanks in advance :)

I am not sure how to request a jury this late in the game, you may call the clerk (just in case they are helpful). There is a statute in the ccp (can't remember the #) that says a jury fee deposit of $150 must be paid 30 days before trial. I think Bravoflaca2000 added a jury trial late in the litigation and may know (but I am not sure). If you do get a jury, the court reporter comes along with it (at least in my court). The jury fees will probably not be waived with the fee waiver, but it may be worth a try. You may have to see what your rules say about the reporter (if you don't get a jury), many people have had to provide their own (probably worth every penny)

I know you are debating whether or not to call the lawyer; so I was thinking this might be a good excuse to call. You could ask him/her if they would be willing to split the jury fees with you, if you do not get them waived, and question them on how to go about getting a jury. I think it will send a good message; you plan to fight all the way, it may be a jury trial (which they will dread), and; that you may not have much money to collect even if they do win.

Just a thought, good luck.

I am not sure how to request a jury this late in the game, you may call the clerk (just in case they are helpful). There is a statute in the ccp (can't remember the #) that says a jury fee deposit of $150 must be paid 30 days before trial. I think Bravoflaca2000 added a jury trial late in the litigation and may know (but I am not sure). If you do get a jury, the court reporter comes along with it (at least in my court). The jury fees will probably not be waived with the fee waiver, but it may be worth a try. You may have to see what your rules say about the reporter (if you don't get a jury), many people have had to provide their own (probably worth every penny)

I know you are debating whether or not to call the lawyer; so I was thinking this might be a good excuse to call. You could ask him/her if they would be willing to split the jury fees with you, if you do not get them waived, and question them on how to go about getting a jury. I think it will send a good message; you plan to fight all the way, it may be a jury trial (which they will dread), and; that you may not have much money to collect even if they do win.

Just a thought, good luck.

Thank you! And yes..I have been debating on the call...and I now have a reason to call for discovery too- (m&c) so I think I will call the court first and find out tomorrow  and then call the attorney after. 

File a demand for jury trial.

Thanks you!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Helpyoself,

How did this go. Did you get a jury trial.

I did not request a jury trial.  I am so nervous that it will be too much for me to handle come trial time. I hate to make excuses - but I just have so much on my plate right now (jobless for starters) that it's all I can do just to keep up w/this case as it is :/

Look at CCP § 631 for jury trial information

Thank you - I'm reading it now

Still notice the court reporter. If you still want to go with jury trial I have some handy dandy jury questionaires and jury instructions. but the jury trial if you are nervous will really be bad. I think the judge would actually stop it from the jury if he thinks you will not be able to handle it.

You can still do it if you have time.