With Millions declaring BK 7 how do they handle HUGE medical crisis/bills after?

slavenomore

With Millions declaring BK 7 how do they handle HUGE medical crisis/bills after? 

Thank you for you kind replys, 
i appreciate you sharing your story of strength and hope. 

Here are my #1 Scariest concern about filing a no asset BK7. 

1) what if you have a serious expensive medical crisis, after you have aready filed? you cant Bk. you already dropped your nuke. You are trapped. sick. scary.

2) Even if you have medical insurance, the deductable and out of pocket is thousands. 
What are your REAL not smartass options if you get seriously ill and you already filed BK 7?

WHAT ARE THE REAL SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM AFTER YOU HAVE FILED BK? 

AND I mean besides:

1) Obama care will fix it. 

2) Go to  cook county hospital  - awful care

3) Go on medicare - awful care. 

4) go to the emergency room. 

5) dont get sick. Die quickly 

THOUGHTS OR  REAL SOLUTIONS? 

Medicaid, probably since you got no assets, no job and no nothing, probably food stamps and cash assistance too, if you are that sick bad. Anyways at least my insurance is a max out of pocket of 3.5k and if I go on medical leave of absence I do not pay premiums, my 401k can loan me money to cover the 3.5k easy, so I shouldn't be in such bad shape, but as you describe it Medicaid and welfare or maybe some charity got no clue.

Actually, you'd be in about the same position you'd be in if you were so deep in debt that you needed to file BK.

With no money to pay for medical care, you would need to rely on hospital forgiveness programs, state aid, etc.

Its called Welfare.  Not everyone who takes welfare is scamming the system...some folks actually need it.  There was a short time when my wife and I had to use it.  Embarasing?  Sure, but you gotta do what you gotta do..

• Like 1

"WHAT ARE THE REAL SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM AFTER YOU HAVE FILED BK?"

The real solutions are the same as before the bankruptcy,If you get sick go to the hospital and get treated.

If you dont have a magicwand to make it all go away then i suggest using conventional means,When you think you might be falling ill,talk to the hospital beforehand to see if you can use one of its forgiveness programs.

There is help out there you just have to keep searching till you find it.

You can not be embarrassed to use the programs that are available for you,thats whats out there period.

If you take expensive medicines the drug manufacturer can sometimes help with free medicine.

Every hospital has a social worker that can help you find grants and other programs aimed at assisting you with your healthcare needs. This should be your first stop in looking for help. Always inform your doctor if you cannot pay for drugs or care. He or she may know of a program firsthand to assist you.

"Go on medicare - awful care."

https://mymedicare.gov/

Medicare is our country’s health insurance program for people age 65 or older. Certain people younger than age 65 can qualify for Medicare, too, including those who have disabilities, permanent kidney failure or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease). The program helps with the cost of health care, but it does not cover all medical expenses or the cost of most long-term care.

Medicare is financed by a portion of the payroll taxes paid by workers and their employers. It also is financed in part by monthly premiums deducted from Social Security checks.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services is the agency in charge of the Medicare program. But you apply for Medicare at Social Security, and we can give you general information about the Medicare program.

Thank you so much for all your thoughtful replys.  

I am trying to build a list of Practical Possible solutions that can serve all of us in the post BK medical situation. 

1) build a health savings account to cover the deductable and out of pocket if you have insurance. (hard to estimate) 
2) if you don't have health ins go on medicaid (not medicare) thats some level of care
3) go to the emergency room
4) if you have insurance, but with scary gaps,  take out a 2nd policy to cover the holes in the mail policy. 
5) hospital forgiveness program
6) drug forgiveness programs 

ANYTHING ELSE? 

I think that's it, except for #6 I did use all the other 5 options, and still ended paying a few thousands for medical bills, in 2006/07 and a bit of 08, I paid at least 3-5k on those years, and after I tried all means to have that forgiven or pay just a part. Most hospitals at least in my area they will forgive your bill if you don't have assets and do the paperwork, normally they will make you apply to Medicaid first, after you get denied or get a share of cost of more than the bill, they will do forgive part or all the bill. Most doctors will do a payment plan some will forgive a %. As for subsidiary services like ambulances, those want all the money ASAP, but if you insist they will likely do a payment plan. I'm now in a better situation cause I contribute as much as I can to my 401k, and can get a loan from them so I can pay a few of those bills if it happens.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. and especially for your warm welcoming tone. 

Here is the updated solution list, I will add more to it as others offer their experience, strength, hope, and solutions. 

so here is the list i have so far. I hope they are helpful to all in our situation. 

1) build a health savings account to cover the deductable and out of pocket if you have insurance.

2) buy a second ins policy to cover the gaps in the first. ( who has this kinda money?)
2) go on medicaid if eligible ( not medicare) 
4) negotiate with the hospitals and drs.

5) negotiate with the drug companies
6) see if your state has a program for low income individuals or family care. 

7) Every hospital has a social worker that can help you find grants and other programs 

Any other solutions any one has found?     Keep 'em coming! ; )

There's also in some places, here in my county there's Brevard Health Alliance, they basically get you with a nurse (ARNP), and if you are sick enough the will try to get a doctor to see you, and he will either not charge you and do it as voluntary hours, or he will do a small fee, depends, they will only take you in this if you do not have insurance including Medicaid, this particular organization also provides office visits to kids with insurance, but is basically a non profit organization and an office visit could cost you from 0-20 bucks. There are also some labs that will do test for a small fee, not sure now but back in 2007-09 a cbc with ferritin would cost me $5 and then you pick up the results and take them to the doctor, or you could pay and extra $3 and they would mail the results. Also some physicians would do Medicaid contracted fees for you, so when I used to go to the hematologist with no insurance they would charge me around 50 for the office visit instead of those crazy numbers you would get if not. With all this in mind, in 2007 a blood transfusion I got to have would have cost me I think from memory 4000, but with the office visit for 50 the blood work for 5 the hospital bill forgiven, it cost me 100.

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  All of them help us know we are not alone.    I am looking for more solutions

especially OUT OF THE BOX, ideas. or ones that you have experienced personally. 

Here is the updated solution list, I will add more to it as others offer their experience, strength, hope, and solutions. 

so here is the list i have so far. I hope they are helpful to all in our situation. 

1) build a health savings account to cover the deductable and out of pocket if you have insurance.

2) buy a second ins policy to cover the gaps in the first. ( who has this kinda money?)
2) go on medicaid if eligible ( not medicare) 
4) negotiate with the hospitals and drs.

5) negotiate with the drug companies
6) see if your state has a program for low income individuals or family care. 

7) Every hospital has a social worker that can help you find grants and other programs 

Any other solutions any one has found?     Keep 'em coming! ; )