Can a law group also be a collection agency in California?

I'm being sued by Grant_and_Weber supposedly representing Discover Card their legal representation is Gordon_and_Wong. I'm confussed because after looking all of them up, I'm pretty sure the debt is owned by Grant and Weber, but how is it that I got a letter awhile ago that Gorden and Wong was a collection agency trying to collect the debt for Discover?

I thought a debt collector could not also be a legal agency in the State of California? I never recieved a letter from Grant_and_Weber to collect the debt. Does this make sense?

I'm being sued by Grant_and_Weber supposedly representing Discover Card their legal representation is Gordon_and_Wong. I'm confussed because after looking all of them up, I'm pretty sure the debt is owned by Grant and Weber, but how is it that I got a letter awhile ago that Gorden and Wong was a collection agency trying to collect the debt for Discover?

I thought a debt collector could not also be a legal agency in the State of California? I never recieved a letter from Grant_and_Weber to collect the debt. Does this make sense?

OH I guess they can do both but once in court they can not represent themselves and have to hire a lawyer, so if they are acting as the debt collector part they have to hire an outside law firm to represnt them. I think I just figured out the answer to my own question?

What does your credit report say.  That'll tell you who owns it.

My credit report that I have is from last august and doesn't say who owns it?  I'm being sued by Grant_and_Weber. If they didn't buy the debt how is it that they are suing me and not Discover? I checked the court file and it states their representation as Gordon_and_Wong.

Do the JDB have to report to your credit report that indeed they own it? I have various letters over the last two years from 3 different law firms or collections agencies trying to "collect" on behalf of Discover. I'm just wondering if I have them on a technicality probably not but always trying to figure stuff out.

Your August report may be outdated.  It will cost a few bucks, but get current reports for all 3 CRA's.

Look at the Discover TL.  If it shows a "0" amount, then it has been sold.  There will also be a note saying something like "sold or transfered to another lender."

G&W will probably have a TL for the debt if they own it.

If Discover did sell it and G&W put Discover as a Plaintiff, I believe there is a case for fraud upon the court.

My credit report that I have is from last august and doesn't say who owns it?  I'm being sued by Grant_and_Weber. If they didn't buy the debt how is it that they are suing me and not Discover? I checked the court file and it states their representation as Gordon_and_Wong.

By rights of assignment. But if they have been assigned the debt and do not own it, they could sue you on behalf of the OC and not need another attorney. You will have to find out just who owns the debt to determine this.

It could be they do not have a license to practice law in your state so they hired an atty that does.

Grant and Weber is a collection agency. They operate in California, Washington, Nevada , Arizona and Texas. Gordon and Wong is a law firm specializing in debt collection. They will be representing the Plaintiff, which appears to be Discover if they are listed as the Plaintiff. Make sure it is clear who the plaintiff is. If it says "Grant and Weber, assignee of Discover," then G&W probably owns the account now. Not that hard to figure out, it's just semantics. Most collection agencies don't buy debt, they just service it. They are primarily involved in healthcare and insurance cases, their web site says nothing about buying debts.

With over 50 complaints regarding their billing and collection practices filed with the Better Business Bureau in the last 12 months, Grant & Weber is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, and the Bureau has given them a rating of “F.” According to the BBB site, one of the reasons for the poor rating is that the agency attempts to collect debts from people that are not theirs, and when asked, refuses to provide proof of that debt.

In recent years, Grant & Weber has been a defendant in multiple court cases for alleged violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The general consensus taken from various Internet review sites is that associates of Grant & Weber are “rude,” “unprofessional,” and “harassing.” Associates of Grant and Weber have been known to insult consumers by calling them a “malingerer” and often asks consumers to send in documentation of payment multiple times before ceasing their calls.

• Like 1

Guest usctrojanalum

Yes it does.  Look at Discovers TL, if it has a 0 balance and the marking "sold/transferred to another lender" they no longer own it. If that is not present and Discover is only reporting a Charge off then Discover owns it.

I have a hospital bill that was sent to collections, MSCB, in Tennessee; owned by atty David W. Edwards.  His collection agency AND district court lawsuit is all HIS company.  He' licensed to practice in Ark, and his collection agency is registered with the state.  So, at least in Ark, a collection agency and ultimate lawsuit atty can be the same; just at different periods of time.

After reading some more in this thread, I see it is just a case where names are similar.  But, I'll post this anyway in case it helps anyone else.

Good luck!