TexanNCali

Midland settlement options for a debt that is 100% not mine! Out of SOL, past reporting period...LOL!

Today, I received at letter in the mail from Midland Credit Management. Upon opening it, I assumed it was DV or something regarding an account that I am currently disputing. I quickly realized it was for another account that is 100% not mine. I’d like to provide a little back story so that I deal with this appropriately.

I noticed a collection from Midland Funding on my CR. I requested DV, disputed with the CRA’s, and filed complaints with the AG and FTC. The debt was paid in full but the OC screwed up and I don’t have a lot of proof to back up my claim. Midland has refused to validate because I didn’t send the DV during the 30 day period. I never received a DL from Midland and only became aware of the debt by reviewing my CR. I sent the DV as soon as I found out about the debt. 1 CRA has deleted their TL. I am awaiting response from the other 2. I suspect that those TL’s will also be deleted.

As mentioned above, I received a letter from Midland that offers a couple of settlement options. The letter states “We want to work with you to repay this account and we will not sue you for repayment. Due to the age of this debt, this account is not being reported…payment or non-payment will not affect your score.“

My question is how should I handle this letter? Should I send a cease and desist letter. Ask for DV? I find this letter quite amusing…it’s not my debt and it’s out of SOL. However, I want to handle this the best way possible. After researching and dealing with Midland, I can honestly say they are crazy!!! I just want to insure that any action I take, regarding this false account, won’t affect my current dispute or request for DV. I’m not sure what type of game their playing.

Thanks. I am currently drafting a CD letter. I just wanted to make sure all my bases were covered. I know this credit stuff can be a little tricky and certain steps must be followed. If nothing else, everyone who stumbles upon this thread can have a good laugh!

Thanks. I am currently drafting a CD letter. I just wanted to make sure all my bases were covered. I know this credit stuff can be a little tricky and certain steps must be followed. If nothing else, everyone who stumbles upon this thread can have a good laugh!

Keep it simple.  Just tell them to "cease communication" or "I refuse to pay".  Anything else just confuses them.

• Like 1
As mentioned above, I received a letter from Midland that offers a couple of settlement options. The letter states “We want to work with you to repay this account and we will not sue you for repayment. Due to the age of this debt, this account is not being reported…payment or non-payment will not affect your score.“

Any time you hear this statement, here is how you interpret it:

"We know we can't force you to pay and we know we can't screw up your credit if you don't pay - we just hope you are stupid enough to pay something so we CAN force you to pay".

If you do anything but tell them to pound sand, they win and you lose.