JDB harrassing mom to pay dead son's bill

usurysucks

Hi!  Love the forum!!  It's a wellspring of wisdom!

I was horrified this afternoon when I was talking to my mom.  She said that she got a letter in the mail from a debt collector.  It offered it's condolances for her loss and then asked her to pay his debt.  My brother was 22 when he passed away and it's been almmost 4 years now.  My mother was neither his guardian, his heir, or his keeper at that point in his life.   I'm presuming it's a JDB, but even if it's the OC,  this seems like an underhanded , abusive and  perhaps illegal thing for them to do.  Is it ilegal?  What should I do to help her proceed and prevent these fools from bothering her anymore?  Does she have a case?

Just tell her to send them a dispute letter telling them that she is NOT responsible for his debts and for them not to call or write her again. They probably will or sell it off to another JDB and it will start over. At that time I would get a good consumer attorney and let them take care of it. Again, she is not responsible, yet they will use every tatice they can to try and get her to pay it.

No need to send any letter.  As long as your Mom was not a cosigner on any of his loans then as a lawyer told my mom when my dad died "are you on any of his accts, she said no, he told her when they call tell them to drop dead."  That was his free advise.

And I am telling you the same.  Tell them to drop dead, no validation letter.  Don't waste the postage.  Tell them to drop dead.

Thanks for that.  I told my mom that if there is a chance that she has a case and if she wants to persue it, I'd be glad to help her with it.  But it sounds like telling them to drop dead might be a little quicker.  Still, I think she'd like to have the satisfaction of 'winning ' against these abusive jerks.  That's just what it is- abuse.  I've never seen anyone more torn apart by the loss of someone than my mom was when m brother died, and they try to capitalize on it.  That's just dispicable.

Find her an attorney that specializes in FDCPA Cases. If they are going to hound her over this she should at least get paid. These people are the sickest of the sick!

I'm going to guess that's the direction she'll want to go in. 

Also, love the username!! 

Dear Debt Collector:

I am sorry to hear about your problem with my son. Unfortunately I am not in a position to solve your problem. I suggest you go somewhere and kill yourself so you can take it up with him directly. That assumes, of course, that you both end up in the same place, but I doubt it. I know he is in heaven.

Sincerely,

• Like 7

Dear Debt Collector:

I am sorry to hear about your problem with my son. Unfortunately I am not in a position to solve your problem. I suggest you go somewhere and kill yourself so you can take it up with him directly. That assumes, of course, that you both end up in the same place, but I doubt it. I know he is in heaven.

Sincerely,

LMAO!!  Love this!!  My mom would love this, too!

It looks like I have several options.  I'll talk to her about what she wants to do.  Thanks for all the great advice, a$$ always!

I would add "as I refuse to pay this debt" to the end of the 2nd sentence. That makes it a clear C&D letter under the law.

I thought my thinly veiled "Go To Hell" would accomplish the same thing.

That assumes, of course, that you both end up in the same place, but I doubt it. I know he is in heaven