Sign in to follow this  
d_e_s

Collection Letter After Sending DV

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me about where to go from here. Like a lot of others, I'm attempting to repair my credit. Pulled credit report and noticed about $2500 in debt on two different accounts to LVNV Funding. One month in particular I noticed the reported balance jumped by $200. Anyway, I sent them a debt validation request, certified mail. They received the letter. A week later I received a collections notice from the company. They did not send any validation of the debt, only this collection letter. It had the blurb about how i need to send a validation request within 30 days in tiny print on the bottom. I thought by sending the DV they were supposed to cease all collections activity until they have provided validation of the debt. Am I mistaken? Are they just making a last ditch effort to try to get me to pay it? Thanks for any responses or advice!

Was your DV letter send within the 30 days after their first communication?

Sending a DV "out of the blue" because you find them on your credit report ... I don't really know how that gets figured in.  But I can imagine them saying the first communication was some long ago, or was after the DV, and in either case claiming the DV to be ineffective.

Did you notice the date of the LVNV notice on your CR?  Have you ever had any prior communication with them?  Do they own the debt or are they acting on behalf of the original creditor?   Do you remember ever having this debt?

It almost sounds as if you've triggered a collection action by sending the DV before first contact by them.

I have never received any communication from them nor have I contacted them before. The letter is from Northland Group which states the owner of the debt is LVNV and the original creditor is one of the major credit card companies. I do not recall ever having a credit card with this company and do not remember having this debt. I don't recall exactly when it's from according to my credit report, but if I recall it is close to falling off so I think around 2008.

If it's almost ready to fall off, then it sounds like your past your states SOL. What is it there in LA? It does sound like you woke them up, but, I wouldn't worry about it. Now that they have sent an official dunning letter. DV them again and also reference your first letter with a copy of the green card just for laughs. Remind them too, that all calls are inconvenient to any number at any time.