Help with Deleting 60 day late payment for Student Loans

wishfuldaze

I have 2 student loans on my credit report, both from same company (Nelnet). Looking at my credit report in December of 2010 I have a 30 day late mark and in Jan. of 2011 I have a 60 day late payment mark for both loans (4 bad marks against me).

I deferred paying my loans for a year and I did not keep track of when payment was to re-start. Nelnet did not email, or mail me a letter about the payments starting up again so I did not know I was late on payments until I started getting automated calls about contacting Nelnet about the payments 60 days after my payment cycle re-began / my deferred status ended.

As of now, I am in good standing / paying my loan payments on time every month to Nelnet but I was wondering if there was a way I could get those 30 days and 60 days late from 2010/2011 off my credit reports. 

Has anyone had experience with this situation? I know first step is a goodwill letter but I searched "nelnet" in the forums and looking through past postings it seems they deny to delete late payments on credit reports.

I looked it up and the late payment marks will stay on my account for 7 years. Would it be a better idea to skip the good will letter and go straight to dispute the late payments with the credit reporting bureaus in hopes they don't respond within 30 days? 

I know it was my responsibility to keep track of when my deferred status ended, but it would have been nice to get at least a letter from Nelnet about it ending. 

Why would Nelnet have spent the money to send those letters?  Only a few happen at a time, so there is no bulk discount for them, either.  This is how business operates ... they won't spend any money unless they are required to.  And lots try to even get out of that (including big corporations).

Once you learn that every business you do not personally own is out to make a profit and will do everything it can to make those profits larger, then you will have at least one more understanding about how to deal with EVERY business you ever deal with for the rest of your life.

Business is business.  It's what they do.  Ignore Mitt Romney's blurb about "businesses just want to be people, too".  No they don't.  They want profit first and foremost.  Any CEO with any other ideas will get booted (unless he owns the whole thing).

• 4 weeks later...

What exactly is this rehab? i have a student loan from 1988 with Original Principal of $5000 and $120/mo due April 2013. How did that happen!!!!! DEFERRED IT AS FAR AS I COULD!!!!!!!!. BELIEVE ME , sallie mae got tired of me finding ways to help me defer it this long and they ultimately gave it in & said you need to start paying!!!!

I too fell for that every 12 months deferment is over u need to renew, but after 22+ years of deferment granted i got 2 times 120 days late on three different tradelines of SALLIEMAE.? all contain 120 days late!!! The student loan is current on payments today however, the 120 days late shows!!!!!

I am told to look up the Board of Directors on Sallie Mae and write a good will letter to them explaning the situation and they are in a position to actually bring about a change on your credit report!!!!! An email would suffice (if u can find it).