Collection agency reported account after paid

TriumphRider

On January 30th, 2013 I sent a payment of $616 to the Uptain Group, Inc.for a debt that my wife owed to the Madison Surgery Center for services provided in May of 2012. The most recent collection letter I could locate was dated September 7th, 2012. This listed "Collection Costs" of $154.

As of the date this check cleared - February 1st, 2013 - this account had NOT been reported to the credit bureaus.

On March 21st, 2013 we received a credit alert from TrueCredit (TransUnion) that there had been a change to my wife's credit file made by Equifax. Logging in, I discovered a new entry had been made by the Uptain Group listing the Madison Surgery Center account with an Original Amount of $462 (which, with the aforementioned collection costs, totals to $616) and a Balance of $0.

Is there anything I can do about this?

On January 30th, 2013 I sent a payment of $616 to the Uptain Group, Inc.for a debt that my wife owed to the Madison Surgery Center for services provided in May of 2012. The most recent collection letter I could locate was dated September 7th, 2012. This listed "Collection Costs" of $154.

As of the date this check cleared - February 1st, 2013 - this account had NOT been reported to the credit bureaus.

On March 21st, 2013 we received a credit alert from TrueCredit (TransUnion) that there had been a change to my wife's credit file made by Equifax. Logging in, I discovered a new entry had been made by the Uptain Group listing the Madison Surgery Center account with an Original Amount of $462 (which, with the aforementioned collection costs, totals to $616) and a Balance of $0.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Yes, notify the CA and the care provider that this is a HIPAA violation to report this information to the CRAs and that it should be removed immediately.  I would also look into filing a counter claim for the "collection fees" as they are likely illegal.  You are only legally obligated for the amount your EOB indicated you owed the surgery center not any fees the agency tacked on in violation of your insurance contract.

Yes, notify the CA and the care provider that this is a HIPAA violation to report this information to the CRAs and that it should be removed immediately.  I would also look into filing a counter claim for the "collection fees" as they are likely illegal.  You are only legally obligated for the amount your EOB indicated you owed the surgery center not any fees the agency tacked on in violation of your insurance contract.

Thanks, Mom.

Can someone else verify this is the correct course of action? (No offense, CM, just looking for someone with a bit more experience. :) )

If they listed the surgery center on your credit report, it's a HIPPA violation.  If they didn't the best thing to do is to dispute with the credit bureuas. Typically, medical collections firm will be able to easily DV you, but it's still worth a try if the dispute doesn't work.  

In the Credit Alerts section of TransUnion's TrueCredit site the entry shows as reported to Equifax only, lists the MSG account number but does not explicitly identify Madison Surgery Center, and lists the "Creditor Name" as the Uptain Group.

Oddly, in the 3-bureau credit report, the same entry appears with NO creditor name. It is identified in the Remarks section as medical.

If I do dispute this with Equifax, on what to I base the dispute?