Please recommend lawyers in Oregon

Huey Pilot gets on here once in awhile. He too, is from Oregon and might have some info. thus far, I have not had to look up an OR attorney. Go to NACA and then check for a NACA attorney. I know they have them in Portland, Eugene, Klamath Falls, and Medford. Way to far for me without having to drive a bit.

Your Discover Bank has an arbitration provision in it. See Linda7's posts on the strategy and steps of arbitration. Study your credit agreement.Linda7's posts will show you how to make your motion for arbitration and how to answer plaintiffs complaint.

I doubt they are really representing discover bank,meaning the account was charged off and sold to someone. Even if it is the original creditor you still fight them the same way.

Most debt buying firms will not pay for arbitration and usually dismiss the case and go away.

Check your credit report and see what it says. You would be looking for sold to another lender.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

http://sites.lawhelp.org/program/1173/

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/credit-cards/agreements/search/?q=discover+bank

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/314030-the-strategy-and-steps-of-arbitration/

http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-clauses/

Agreement to arbitrate. If a dispute arises between you and us, either may choose to resolve the dispute by binding arbitration, as described below, instead of in court. Any claim (except for a claim challenging the validity or enforceability of this arbitration agreement, including the Class Action Waiver) may be resolved by binding arbitration if either side requests it. This includes claims and disputes relating to any other Account or agreement you have or had with us. THIS MEANS IF EITHER YOU OR WE CHOOSE ARBITRATION, NEITHER PARTY SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO LITIGATE SUCH CLAIM IN COURT OR TO HAVE A JURY TRIAL.

If you wish to begin an arbitration against us but you cannot afford to pay the organization’s or arbitrator’s costs, we will pay those costs if you ask us in writing. Any request like this should be sent to Discover, PO Box 30421, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0421.

• Like 1

You might start by contacting the following:

Bret Knewtson - Attorney

3000 NW Stucki Place

Suite 230-M

Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

(503) 846-1160

bknewtson@yahoo.com

http://knewtsonlaw.com/

Oregon has mandatory Court assigned arbitration and it's a total "kangaroo court" managed by lawyers for lawyers and the defendant has little chance unless you are out of the statute of limitations. Most consumer defense attorneys will just tell you to save your money and do it yourself and that you can appeal and go to regular court where they can win and will be glad to help you with a trial de novo.

The most important thing is to fight back and run up their expenses to the extend Plaintiff won't want any more expense at trial de novo and will dismiss. You can then file to get your fees returned and an award for prevailing party.

The other defense recommended by this forum is JAMS arbitration. If you move quickly you can file a motion for private JAMS arbitration in lieu of Answer.  Linda7 has numerous postings on this concept and appears to be a very successful approach bypassing our kangaroo court arbitration system. 

HP

First off, thank you all so much for taking time answering my questions.

A couple of you mentioned arbitrations. I already requested this a while ago. Here's more detailed timeline.

July 2012 - Discover sent letter stating attorney pending

Aug 2012 - I sent arbitration request to Discover via CMRRR. No response from Discover

Sep 2012 - Contacted by the law firm. Sent DV via CMRRR. No response

Apr 2013 - Complaint received from the law firm

I went to court this morning and found that the plaintiff is indeed Discover, not the law firm. So I don't think the debt has been sold to the firm. Also the credit report pulled last night does not show mention the firm, just Discover. So definitely the debt is still with Discover.

Huey, thanks for the recommendation. Did you have any first hand experience with him?

Again, thanks all very much.

I just contacted the lawyer recommended by Huey. The good thing is that he was being very honest and straightforward.

The bad thing is, he said that there is not much chance for us to get out of it. The debt is too recent. OC (Discover) is directly suing, and the firm is known to be pretty tough.

I will see what I can do and update how things go.

Thanks again for all your help.

I just contacted the lawyer recommended by Huey. The good thing is that he was being very honest and straightforward.

The bad thing is, he said that there is not much chance for us to get out of it. The debt is too recent. OC (Discover) is directly suing, and the firm is known to be pretty tough.

I will see what I can do and update how things go.

Thanks again for all your help.

Get a second or third opinion, just as you would if the first doctor you saw said you had an illness that was incurable.

Get a second or third opinion, just as you would if the first doctor you saw said you had an illness that was incurable.

These are some I looked up for another poster here. I don't know anything about them but they are listed as consumer attorneys in you state.

Oregon National Association of Consumer Attorney Members

Michael D. McNichols 2009 THE McNICHOLS LAW OFFICE P.C. Canby Oregon

Christopher M. Potter 2011 Shlesinger & De Villeneuve Attorneys, PC Eugene Oregon

Dennis A. Boardman 2008 Office of Dennis Boardman Hillsboro Oregon

Bret Knewtson 2007 Law Office of Bret Knewtson Hillsboro Oregon

Karen M. Oakes 2004 Law Office of Karen M. Oakes, P.C. Klamath Falls Oregon

Nanina Takla 2006 Law Office of Nanina Takla Oregon City Oregon

E. Clarke Balcom 2006 Clarke Balcom Law Portland Oregon

Justin M. Baxter 1999 Baxter & Baxter, LLP Portland Oregon

Mr. Thomas Adams McAvity 2012 Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm Portland Oregon

Shannon Dale Sims 2009 Shannon D. Sims, Attorney at Law Portland Oregon

Robert S. Sola 2001 Robert S. Sola, P.C. Portland Oregon

David F. Sugerman 2001 David F. Sugerman Attorney, PC Portland

Oregon Anna Braun 2011 Salem Consumer Law LLC Salem Oregon

John Gear 2011 John Gear Law Office LLC Salem Oregon

Thomas Philip Kelly III 2010 Law Offices of Thomas P. Kelly III   Oregon  

This is another I found when looking on Justia.com for the limited amount of Cavalry cases in your state.

• Like 1