You all helped once before, please advise again

MrsFixit

Hello all!

You guys were a great help to me a few months ago with the DV process and credit clean up. Things have been great until I recently pulled a CR and found a CA reporting a old medical debt. I was shocked because I never received the 30 day notice thing that you usually get before they report you. Let me give you a little background..

This supposed debt was once successfully removed through a dispute with the CRA's. They removed the OC's from all 3 CRA back in 2009. Now, a CA is reporting the debt and it states the date of 1st delinquency was in 2007. I believe in my state of CA, I am beyond the SOL to be sued, however I realize that I have 7.5 yrs until this falls off my CR.

I have already disputed this Coll with the 2 bureaus they are reporting and they both came back verified. I then sent a DV letter via CMRRR and I have received a Account Itemization from the CA. It shows my name (now they are adding my married name to it, originally they had only my maiden) and the OC, the amount owed, Date of Referral, interest owed and payment history which shows zero. They conveniently left out the DOFD blank.

I am unsure how to proceed. Is this itemization a validation? How can I prove that I never received a 30 day letter before they reported me? Now that I have sent them the DV, they have reported me again, this time showing 2 of the same debts on the same CRA. On one CRA, it shows a DOFD, but on the other it does not.

Can anyone advise? I'm at a loss. I had zero negs on my CR and now this. They first reported me back in 9-2012 and recently on 3-2013. I am a year away from the 7.5 yr mark and the debt is rather small (less than $200) but I am thinking of applying for a home loan and I don't want to do that until I figure this out.

Thank you a million for any help and advice!!

I see that in the DV process, the CA must provide a copy of the signed agreement between yourself and the OC. This CA did not provide anything besides my name, address, the amount that is owed, the OC and the interest they are charging me. They do have it listed as "medical"

Any help here? Am I supposed to send another DV letter to the CA asking for proof of my contract between myself and the OC? Or, do I send a letter to the CRAS that the CA is not validating a debt, yet the CRA is saying it is "verified" ?

Thanks guys!

The collection agency does not have to include a signed agreement.  However they need to provide a copy of a statement, letter of sale, contract or cancelled check. The bar is pretty low.   

I would try the 623 method with the collection agency.  

• Like 1

Thank you so much for responding! I'm not familiar with the 623 method, but I will research it. I must admit, this has me all twisted up because I was so proud of my progress. Thank you for helping me.

I do have one other question, I notice now that the CA is reporting me twice on the same CRA. Is this something I have to bring up with the CRA to delete one of the duplicate derogatories?

I have reviewed the 623 method and my only question is, since the OC was a small medial office, is it them that I make the contact to about my records? To clarify, do I 623 the CA or the OC? And how would I know who their legal department is, if they have any, to take the 623 process further should they not have any of my records? This debt is 6.5 years old.

Should I cease all contact with the CA and just solely focus on the OC?

Should I DV the CA again asking they provide me a copy of a statement?

I apologize for all the questions. Your input is greatly appreciated. :)