Mama Usagi555 has issues with Chase, collections

usagi555

She had a chase card, got fed up with them, paid the balance and closed the account.  Well, she just got a statement on the same account with a $36 charge on it.  The charge was made by some collection agency.  (Amsher Receivables Management)

Unauthorized charges on a closed CC account that was never, ever late by a CA?  Sounds like it could be criminal to me.  I told her to go to the state AG's office and see if she can file criminal charges. Perhaps there's some slapping around that can be done to Chase too.  Chase is truly evil. 

What is the collector trying to collect?  Just the $36?  Or are they claiming more, like some supposed balance.

Yes, Chase and dozens of other big banks are suspected of fraudulently selling accounts as debts for which they have no knowledge that they are valid debts.

Also, I have person experience from having been a customer of Chase, dealing with a branch manager who ended up discovering he was working for a thoughly incompetent company (he soon left), that the bank can't keep proper records at all.  I had a checking account at another bank (Texas Commerce Bank) that Chase bought out (I didn't actually choose Chase).  They transferred all accounts over (new account numbers)  Then I found on my credit report that Chase had not only opened a checking for me (I had not chosen to close, so it was a new account for the transfer), but they opened a credit card account for me as well.  I disputed with the CRA originally and it was confirmed.  But no one at the bank was able to get the CC account to close.  So I closed everything.  On that day, the branch manager told me he had given his notice a couple days before and was going to go work for another smaller bank (which was not convenient for me ... otherwise I might have followed).

Stay away from ALL of the big banks.  They are ALL big trouble.

The charge is for $36 and the charge is listed as a payment to the CA.  The account balance was $0 last month, on a closed account.  Now, there's a $36 charge to a CA on there.  It's really f'ed up.  That's why I'm recommending that she go to the AG's office and file criminal charges.  She hates the banks about half as much as I do, which means that she'd like to see them annihilated with CEOs put in jail.

And yes, big banks are big trouble.  And that's being more than generous to them.  Calling them "trouble" is being about as nice to them as giving a kidney to a stranger would be. 

I bet contacting an attorney would really be smart as the AG is not really Going to pan out, however CFPB may do something, and a letter on attorney letterhead would work.

I think other members had some problems with this also. You see they take closed accounts and put fees on them then the late fees rack up. maybe someone is skimming money.

I bet contacting an attorney would really be smart as the AG is not really Going to pan out, however CFPB may do something, and a letter on attorney letterhead would work.

I think other members had some problems with this also. You see they take closed accounts and put fees on them then the late fees rack up. maybe someone is skimming money.

It's hasn't even gotten started yet.  The AG here will go after dirty financial practices.  He's the one who initiated the requirement that CAs collecting past SOL debts must make it clear to alleged debtors, or else.  I can also name the two consumer law firms are in town.  Treinen Law and Feferman & Warren.  Either one is good to have on your side.  My entire clan will be experts in taking on collection agencies if things keep up the way they are.  Don't mess with the clan. 

Guest usctrojanalum

Unfortunately i mean nobody is really going to do anything over $36... you almost just better of suing them yourself pro se.

Unfortunately i mean nobody is really going to do anything over $36... you almost just better of suing them yourself pro se.

Mom would suck in court pro se.  But seriously, with the late fees and usurious interest charged (27%), that $36 would be a whole lot in a year if this is not stomped on immediatly. 

When did the charge occur? It seems it's recent if she just got the bill.  You can always dispute the charge with Chase and they should just remove it.  That's the law under the FCBA.  

They're claiming that the charge was in Jan, though it did not show up on the previous statements that arrived post Jan.  The dispute is going to be just about as rude and nasty as I can make it without dropping a lot of F-Bombs.  I'll even be telling them that they need to compensate her for the cost of sending it CMRRR just to be an a$$ about it.  It won't happen, but I enjoy being an a$$ to any megabank anytime I have an opportunity to do so. 

That might be tough to prove though my sympathies are definitely with her.  

She has two witnesses.  While I didn't watch her open the envelope, my dad did.  She then immediately called me and started asking me what the hell they were doing.  She has kept better records on this than most people.  The dispute is over the top rude and already sent CMRRR.