Confused about how to begin after analyzing credit report

Hi all,

I've read through some threads, ordred my credit reports, researched other websites, and even ordered a book on credit repair. So today is the day that I actually start putting all I've read into action! Unfortunately, I'm again a little confused. :)

I learned that when tackling the bureaus, you must treat them individually, correct?

Well, I have one account that was sent to collections (which I didn't even know about until now). It looks like the collection agency is listed on both Experian and Equifax, but not on Transunion. The original creditor (which was a pet hospital) is the only thing showing up for TransUnion, not the collection agency.

Also, the amount is under $300 which I can pay right now if a pay for delete is negotiated.

My question is where do I begin with this particular account. Should I first contact the OC, negotiate a pay for delete off the TransUnion report, see what happens, then dispute with Experian and Equifax? Or should I dispute with Experian and Equifax first and then contact the CA? If I do that, how does TransUnion fit in?

I'm just confused that 2 of the reports show it going to a CA , but TransUnion only shows the original creditor. Not sure what the steps should be here.

Any help would be AWESOME. Thanks!

When an account is in collections, you can try calling the OC and see if they will accept payment and recall the account from collections.  Should that fail (likely), you can try a pay for delete with the collection agency. 

Of course, the VERY first thing you should do is dispute with the credit bureaus.  

This is the second time you've helped me today! I really appreciate it!

I have another question... I just noticed another issue which I'm sure is common, but to me I'm raising a huge question mark above my head!

As I said, I pulled my 3 credit reports from freecreditreport.com. However, I ALSO pulled my separate Experian credit report. And the details of the Experian section on the 3-Bureau Credit Report and the details on the separate Experian report aren't the same!

For example, I have a pretty large debt (to a towing company) which got sent to collections to Finex Group in 2009. The stand-alone, separate Experian credit report shows the debt going to the CA. The 3-Bureau credit report doesn't even list the Finex Group (CA) in the report. If I pulled up only the 3-Bureau credit report, I would never have even known it got sent to Finex Group. It only reflects the account in TransUnion through the original creditor (different amounts than Experian).

I feel like I should get my report separately now from each credit bureau.

Is this something I should disclose when contact the CRA? Not sure what to do.

Of course, the VERY first thing you should do is dispute with the credit bureaus.

Admin,

Just a question:  If the information reported is accurate, would a dispute with the credit bureaus be of any benefit, especially if you want to negotiate a pay for delete?  I'm not doubting your advice.  It's just a question.

Admin,

Just a question:  If the information reported is accurate, would a dispute with the credit bureaus be of any benefit, especially if you want to negotiate a pay for delete?  I'm not doubting your advice.  It's just a question.

If the information is accurate, it's still your legal right to dispute with the credit bureaus.  Yes, the collection agency will receive a request through e-OSCAR that the information be verified.     There is a small chance (less than 10%) that they will NOT complete the investigation in time, howver, it's worth the try just for this.  There is also a chance that the collection agency will not be able to verify the information.  In either of the cases where this happens, they will have to remove the information.  

I don't think disputing the information will hurt your chances with the collection agency.  You're just saying this is not mine, but to avoid hassle, I will agree to pay a small amount to settle the matter.  You don't ever have to admit that a debt is yours while settling.  

As I said, I pulled my 3 credit reports from freecreditreport.com. However, I ALSO pulled my separate Experian credit report. And the details of the Experian section on the 3-Bureau Credit Report and the details on the separate Experian report aren't the same!

Just so you know, freecreditreport.com is basically a scam.  the 3 CRAs are competitors and do not share current and complete data with each other.

You can use annualcreditreport.com once a year to get individual accurate repoorts, but even the, it best to send your request in wriiting Cmrrr.

• Like 1

Just so you know, freecreditreport.com is basically a scam.  the 3 CRAs are competitors and do not share current and complete data with each other.

You can use annualcreditreport.com once a year to get individual accurate repoorts, but even the, it best to send your request in wriiting Cmrrr.

Oh wow, Willingtocope, I didn't think freecreditreport.com was a scam!!

So I guess your best advice would be to order my reports from annualcreditreport.com, correct? I already purchased my free credit report from them last June, but I wanted to purchase an updated version becuase I think there have been some significant changes from them. Is annualcreditreport.com pretty accurate? I thought it was VERY strange that I had 2 Experian reports in front of me and the Experian reports didn't match up.

Maybe scam is the wrong word...ripoff is probably better.  Like I said, the 3 CRAs are competitors.  To their customers....the people that will lend you money...they only claim their data is accurate for 15 days.  To each other, they only sell data that no longer is of any value to their customers.  Sometimes, it can be months out of date.