Strange verification questions

F1aReD

Hi Guys,

I've already posted another topic in this forum, but figured I'd post in this section too. Here's my problem:

It seems when I go to check my credit report/score, 2 out of 4 of the verification questions have nothing to do with me. I answered the questions truthfully (None/Not applicable) but I get locked out for my "security". I called Transunion and they unlocked it after I answered some different questions, and I checked my report (directly from them), and there's nothing sketchy except that they have my current address as a PO Box that I had several years ago. Also, the report seems a little empty, a couple of things are missing...but maybe that varies.

No matter where I go, annualcreditreport.com, Equifax, Experian, etc, atleast 2 (sometimes more) of the question don't pertain to me! Now I've been completely locked out of Equifax and Experian websites for trying the questions so many times. I did order them over the phone (free ones), so hopefully those will come in the mail.

I've never had a problem with the questions before...check my free report all the time. Could it be identity theft? Or something stupid?

Thanks

Can you say what the questions are?  If the questions themselves have information you suspect might be in the file, right or wrong, redact those part.  I'm just wanting to get a sense of what they are asking, such as whether it is a "security question" or a "cross checking your file" question.

Beware that they may "have stuff" in "your" file that they don't tell you about.  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57567957/credit/

phishing attack? Now you got me nervous. My computer is practically brand new, and no spyware to speak of...I even did a virus check today and I got nothing, and I clear out my browsing history frequently...I thought I read somewhere my file could be split or something? Or mixed up with someone else's with the same name?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after waiting for several weeks I decided to try and get into my free report again. I did Equifax and it DID let me into the verification questions, however they were once again crazy questions about banks I've never heard of, etc. I tried Experian instead, knew all the questions except ONE, and it let me in!!! So apparently you're allowed to get 1 wrong.

There was nothing super strange in my report, couple little weird things. 2 of my old addresses were mixed together, as if it was one address. This is a PO box and a single family. Different towns.

Also, in the section  "Requests Viewed Only By You", I DO know all the inquires except one-its called "Granite Bay Acceptance" and I've never heard of them before. The only other thing is it seems my old Verizon account (which still to this day has not been paid) fell off all my reports, or at least it's not in TU or Experian. I'm almost positive it has NOT been 7 years since it was reported. Could there be some other reason? I never disputed it or anything.

Thanks for any and all help.

@F1aReDGranite Bay Acceptance sounds like a collection agency.  

Things sometimes fall off before 7 years.  It's just an example of how messed up the credit bureaus files are.  They can't keep track of anything.  Take your gift and run with it.  

Before I got my mortgage, one of the verification questions pertained to a mortgage and sicne I didn't have one, "not applicable" is the correct answer.

it's like a trick question...if you answered "my mortgage payment is XXX a month" and you didn't have a mortgage payment on your reports, they'd lock you out.