My credit repair adventure, Now how to start

sevenx7

Hey guys,

I've been reading the forum and planning my attack! I originally planned on hiring Lexington law because i didn't have time. I actually signed up and within the 5 day window i read the forum and decided, "hey if this is so important to me, I'll make time to do it!". So I turned around and cancelled my agreement.

Here i am now, Ready to tackle this head on, but have a few questions.

Clearly step one to to dispute with the CRA's. I'm about to do that but first:

Is there a special way i should attack these things? i have about 7-9 negatives on each report. 2 collections,  One is Midland funding for a 2024.00 t-mobile bill. No idea how it came to 2024, i thought i canceled it but whatever. Thing is the DOFD on equinox is 7/2013, So i'm going to let this sleeping dog lie til then. The second collection is Palisades collection for AmEx. I paid that in full and didn't even argue, before i knew better and took a hit on all the fees they added on. you live and learn i guess. So I'l be disputing that as verify. I think 7 years happens at the end of the year for that one.

I should also note that every negative on my CR's statues of limitations for NJ are now up (Latest DOFD was 3/2007, maybe one 4/2007) so would there be a special way to get these off my CR?

All my negatives are from Credit cards, I would say in total the amount of each card was no more than 1000.00.

I had a macy's account i paid in full (it was 400.00) but came back on my report afterwards, then disappeared 3 weeks later. weird.

I'm going to try and offer Bloomingdales 250.00 to consider my 950.00 debt settle or paid in full.

One more question i have is could i send 3 Disputes in one envelope? and if so could i put them all on one sheet or should i write 3 letters and put them in 1 envelope? Or should i just suck it up and send out 9 CMRRR at a time? I think 3 Disputes at once isn't excessive, but if anyone with more experience has any suggestions, I'd be open to any suggestions. I just started reading good credit is sexy, And I might be picking up the workbook.

More than anything I'll be updating this with my success or failure, In case anyone every needed my experiences for reference.

thanks for any suggestions or comments you guys have in advance!

• Like 1

I have read it, But was wondering if there was anything specific to out of SOL account that are after the 6 years but less than 7 1/2 years

I think i'm going to split up a group of 4, then whatevers left I'll dispute after 30 or 45 days so they dont say its just frivolous  disputes. but 6 CMRRR are better than 27 :)

4 disputes per letter have been sent off on Thursday April 25th 2013. Lets sit back and see what happens now! best 19.00's I've spent so far! meanwhile that puts my tally of -80.00 saved from Lexington just for the setup fee.... I'll keep a running tally!

• 1 month later...

So It begins, I'm starting to get replies.

Transunion sent me back that 1 was verified and 4 were "changed" 

I don't have it in front of me now but as i claimed they were not mine, It looks like they changed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I'll post exacts when i get home, But if i claimed not mine, why would they "update information"

Also Midland has written me and changed my status to "Customer disputes"

I have never spoken or contacted them at all...

And yesterday I get the famous:

"The purpose of this letter is to request your assistance so that we may reach a quick-resolution to your dispute.

As part of our investigation of your dispute, it would be helpful to have a copy of any documentation you may have that supports your dispute. In the interim, we have requested that the three major consumer credit reporting agencies change the status of this account to "Disputed." *

Any suggestions? I Dont remember disputing with them...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think experian never sent me anything,but changed some things, all verified though, I know I didnt get a response back...

Sent out my MOV mails with CMRR, Going to read up on 623 next and maybe try that...

Hopefully the MOV does something...

Welp apparently they did reply, found a letter in a stack of mail, So i have no idea if they responded on time. Just waiting for these green cards to come back from MOV letters i sent out!

Crossing fingers that MOV Does something!

Welp apparently they did reply, found a letter in a stack of mail, So i have no idea if they responded on time. Just waiting for these green cards to come back from MOV letters i sent out!

You can't tell from the postmark?

OMG DUH :D

I'll look tonight...How did that slip my mind!

One positive thing I just saw on a credit monitoring site, When i started in january i was at 540, today I'm at 635...Even though its a FAKO it makes me feel as if there is hope. By Feb 2014 everything's wiped off one way or the other...7 years!!

OMG DUH :-D

I'll look tonight...How did that slip my mind!

One positive thing I just saw on a credit monitoring site, When i started in january i was at 540, today I'm at 635...Even though its a FAKO it makes me feel as if there is hope. By Feb 2014 everything's wiped off one way or the other...7 years!!

Yay!  :) 

I'd attack the collection agency if they were outside the SOL.  You could argue that they shouldn't be collecting - it could be looked at as misrepresenting the status of the debt (saying it's collectable, when it's outside the SOL).  

@admin that won't fly, they can collect even after 20 years and not reporting to the CRA, they can even sue and is up to the defendant to rise SOL as affirmative defense.

@kutuzov - I disagree.  In Ohio, the state AG's office went after collectors that were going after people where the SOL was up.  I think it's worth a try.