RUI Credit Services

F1aReD

Hi:

I keep getting automated phone calls from "RUI Credit Services", and today I finally called back. It's on a debt that I owe from my old electric bill. I think they've sent me 1 letter, which I lost/cant find, and when I asked them today if they could please mail me a new letter stating what the debt was for/how much I exactly owe, (I DO NOT dispute that I do owe it) the woman was very rude and wanted me to just pay by credit card over the phone, and told me I would not be getting any other mail/letters from them. She even said "you don't know that you owe it by now!?! It's been 3 months" It sounded like I was talking to a random person who didn't have a clue, not cordial at all, treated me like I was a piece of trash.

Anyways, last time I checked this was not on my credit report. Is it possible that if I pay this they will put something bad on my report after the fact? I want to just pay, I have the money, but I don't want to be screwed over. I don't know where to start.

Thanks

That's the thing, I had an online account with the electric company and I paid a portion of the bill.(this was after I shutoff service) After that, they wouldn't let me send anything else to them. When I called today, I told the woman that same thing and she had a nasty response "yeah, and they send it right to us!"

I'll call the EC, but I'm wondering if they already sold it to RUI

Does RUI purchase debts or are they merely a collector?   Not all collectors purchase debts.   In my opinion, it would be unusual for a utility company to sell a debt after only 3 months.

Sounds like they are assigned to me.  

Well I called the electric company today and I was able to pay them directly over the phone. I only did it because I trust them, and they gave me a confirmation number, an email, and are going to send a receipt in the mail.

Is there anything I can do if they put something in my credit file after the fact? Or do you think it's probably not in my file since I am paying it basically right away?